Game Discussion > Suggestions and Feedback

Class unfairness - teleporting

<< < (2/2)

SoLunacyHi:
Teleport is very unfair, yes. There is no argument against mages being ridiculously ahead of every other class when out of combat because they can zip around the entire world within the blink of an eye. However, consider the class identity of a mage. Masters of the elemental and arcane magic, they bend the laws of physics with their every action, summoning elemental attacks out of nowhere, warping reality to disappear from sight, manipulating mana to protect themselves. In hindsight, the ability to memorize a location completely and rewind to that spot makes a lot of sense on a mage, perhaps unbalanced, but still quite necessary. All of the classes have thier own very distinctive, very defining qualities. Class lines are made sharp, with no instances of blurring to maintain the fact that each class is itself, and not another class with some modifications. Priests are masters of earth magic, restoring health at the wave of a paw, and also adept in the use of light, darkness, and poisons. Each of these things is reflected within their skills and no other class can do anything remotely similar.

Warriors are born of rock solid determination, and red hot fury. Thier physical endurance allows them to persist in the most brutal of fights as they effortlessly absorb damage while inflicting heavy blows of their own. These qualities are also reflected within their skills, and again, no other class does anything remotely similar.

Hunters are a bit trickier to describe with a class identity, I would say something along the lines of being crafty and resourceful. Forced to thrive with little, they can take advantage of their surroundings and make weapons from whatever they find, fire a bow with masterful skill, blend in to their surroundings, and tame wild beasts, making them lifelong companions. Reflected also in their skills, very unique. All of these classes have their own in game identity, thier own perks and weaknesses.

Consider now mage's class identity. What makes a mage a mage? Mages are defined by their mastery of the arcane. Priests also use magic, but the magic of a priest focuses on that which is already there, the light and the dark, and herbs. Arcane means secret, or what is not there. This is the type of magic a mage uses, reflected by their ability to summon elemental attacks from where nothing existed, and then forcing the attack into the physical realm to inflict heavy damage. But this is just one aspect of arcane magic. The large majority of arcane magic draws from what is not there to great effect, reflected specifically by the mana shield skill and of course, teleport. It is one thing to take power from a scroll and be transported to a location the scroll is associated with. Mages scoff at such ideas because they can use more powerful magic than the scroll offers. To a mage, scrolls are simply convenient commodities because they by nature, by class, already control such magic and can use it with ease. To take away a mage's teleport or how easy it is to use is akin to taking away a priest's revive or making the revive more difficult to use. Warriors do not have as game changing of a skill from what I know, so it is difficult to emphasize this in warrior terms. As Tobias said, however, Paw'D does not go after balance, a unity or moderation of character ability. If anything, Paw'D goes for unbalance, with character identities spaced vastly apart from each other. All of the classes received thier own super definitive qualities, and at the day's end, teleport is just another super definitive quality. One of the best, without a doubt, but still just like any other extremely valuable skill.

ArcticBreeze:
I think that teleporting is mostly fair because it's the special ability of mages- warriors can tank, priests can heal, and mages can be... DPS? As said before, every class can be DPS. Now, I still have trouble traveling in Blackwood because my DPS set only has revitalize, and sometimes it doesn't heal fast enough and I die. Of course, some of the respawn points are wonky, and to travel around Blackwood is pretty hard alone, I guess the best option is to fight with friends. I remember when I used to play solo- and it was pretty common for me to ask to play with random players or just die.
I guess a good point from Lunacy was that mages use arcane so teleportation is fitting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version