Forum - The Notice Board

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: The Notice Board  (Read 2764 times)

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:55:23 pm »
Next to the mayor in Saliko, you can find the notice board.  This board was used for 2 or 3 quests and thats it, so why don't we put it to good use? >D (I'mma try to write it all formal in paragraphs xD)

My idea is that the board shows things that people are serching for. For example if I wanted enchanted wind, I could put a message on the board saying "3 Enchanted Earth (It could be linked or to where you could control-click it for the info.) wanted.  I'll pay 30 silver for it"

This could b a really useless thing but it could help if you finish the East Caves and killed an Orchad fly so you have 3 encahnted earth and before you sell them, you see the board and then you get more silver then you would selling them to Jenny and the person would get their enchanted earth. 

Another use for it would be that the Mods or just Toby could put little updates, a letter saying "Happy Valentines", or birthdays. 

*I failed at trying to type it in paragraphs xDI WAS NOT MENT TO TYPE IN A FORMAL-ISH WAY!!!*

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:19 pm »
Hmm, buuut what would keep people from writing bad things on it?

We'd need to constantly monitor the board - because otherwise someone quietly signs on, cusses on the board, and everyone checking the board the next day will see it until a moderator becomes aware of it.

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:19 am »
It could b like the auction house maybe? On where u could link it and just put the price?

Telivision

• Lint
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:44 pm »
There could be a filter on it, which even if you have censors turned off, it will still be applied to it.

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:42:18 pm »
True, but you don't need to swear to be offensive. One jerk might write " oh you are all so stupid wasting time on this worthless flash youhavenolifestopbeinglazyblahblahblah", or someone who's racist might write (this is an example from the stereotypical movies) "listen you black scum! Blah blah again." Thing I'm saying, is that we'd need to still post constantly check messages to make sure that no one says something that might hurt others. While having the name of the poster might help lower the insults, it won't stop all of them. Still, I do think that using Tue board right be useful.$one idea I get is having mods checking and approving messages, but that would be a lot of work if there's like 50 messages an hour...) ^.^;

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 05:44:09 pm »

Putting filters just means that people will try to bypass the filter to cuss. ;P Even now, where people have the option to simply turn off the filter with a click, they go out of their way to get their s w 3 a r w 0 r d z through. ;P

Plus, you can always find words that I didn't filter, or arrange words that'd be okay in a way so that they're offensive. 

Essentially, it means you'd have to monitor it, and I think monitoring #main chat is plenty already. Requiring approval would work too, but that's extra work for moderators for something that people can just use #Main chat for. Many people complain that #Main is too quiet anyway. #Main chat also has the "advantage" that to offend someone, you have to keep saying it, actively, and of course there's a chance of you getting caught then. With the board, you put it there, log off, and it stays there.

The one idea I might implement is implementing a "buying" shop. Several other MMOs do that, but they ran into the problem that people started scamming - like, announcing that they'd buy a rare item - like spirit bottles - for 2 silver, or pay less than an NPC would pay for it. A new player wouldn't know how valuable their items are, so they might be tempted to give in to that offer.
With auctions, unless they put a buyout price in, they'll get the money that people are ready to actually pay for that item. If you put a decent spirit bottle for 1 silver in, then someone might bid 1 gold, and that's what they'll get.

It's tough to say. I do like the idea, and it'd be pretty neat leaving notes there. However if it'll be done, it would need moderation, or approval, and I think it shouldn't be free (costing quite a bit of gold), so someone getting their message removed actually loses something instead of just using up moderator time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:46:16 pm by toby »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:40:24 pm »
As an update, while I didn't give the notice board in Saliko additional use, the notice board in Argan Village is now used to access auctions. :3