Forum - Host Migration - Feb 3, 7:30pm GMT

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Host Migration - Feb 3, 7:30pm GMT  (Read 1906 times)

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »
I will have the server migrated to a different host today in the evening (afternoon for you US folk). This will take around 30 minutes, as the entire disk is copied over, during which the server will be down.

Reason for that are the lots of performance alerts  the server has been logging over the past two weeks. The game client compensates for a lot of things, but knowing that the server sometimes hangs for 2-3 seconds straight - isn't exactly what I like.

Today it has been particularly bad, so this is really the time. ;P I reported the issues to them, and they will first move everything to a different machine, so I am giving them the chance to resolve the issue. What's causing it? Well, while developing I am using a shared machine (virtual server) instead of a dedicated server for cost reasons (and also because a virtual server is sufficient for what we need so far). Downside is that there are other servers running on the same machine, and my guess is that one of the neighbours on it is bogging it down. It's started in January, and since I didn't change anything (and also because the performance is fine at other times), I suppose that's when they "moved" in on it. XD

So, if this gets it resolved, great, otherwise it's time to move providers. ;P

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:10:13 pm »
Aaaand we're done.

Let's see how this works. ^-^

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »
wow. I saw the highest at 2.67K ms on that list *-*;

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:57:11 pm »
There's some 2,939 ms too - and that's just an excerpt.

Some slowdown can happen; in December we had like 2-3 alerts every few days.
Getting dozens of alerts in off-peak hours is an issue.

No alerts on this host so far, but let's not jinx it. ;P

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 09:49:33 pm »
good idea Toby XD