Forum - How to Use AoE Spells?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: How to Use AoE Spells?  (Read 2166 times)

Radiation

• Lint
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:03:33 pm »
I'm having trouble with using things like Fire Wall as a mage - monsters keep walking through the area after a little bit and then the spell is pretty useless. They also attack more monsters that randomly run into the area before it dissipates, which leaves me with more monsters after my tail than I know how to kill. They also seem to use up more mana than single target spells.... I don't really understand why they're considered so essential. Am I using them wrong?

Bramble

• Global Moderator
  • Lint
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:38:22 pm »
AOE's are a little hard to use when you're just killing mobs alone I think, but to make this easier it's important for you to stand right near the AOE. If the mob that you're attacking has aggro on you, it'll be sitting in the AOE the entire time while you attack it with single target spells -> double damage done.

It's also really useful in dungeons when you're killing mobs as well, since the tank will usually have aggro of all the mobs and they'll be standing in one spot, so you can cast your AOE without having to worry about the position you're in (which is what you have to do if you're alone).

Lastly, AOEs are great for bosses because they boost your damage. Most bosses don't have knockback, so you can keep on casting Fire Wall (or any other AOE) without needing to worry if it's going to stay in the AOE while you do single target spells.

I think AOE's are a huge DPS booster, and even though it's difficult to get used to how to use them, once you do they have great benefits :D

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 11:43:53 am »
In addition to what Bramble wrote - you have to consider what AOE you're using. Firewall can block monsters from you for a short time. You can stand right next to the firewall and take the hits while the monster is burning, but you can also use it to keep monsters at distance for a bit. Blizzard is different - you'd use that to freeze monsters and then pick out one of them.

Against monsters at your level kiting or taking hits is only advisable if the monster is slow, or you're in a group with someone who can help you with/by taking those hits (aka grouping with a tank or a healer).

Area spells aren't meant to be mana efficient against single targets. Use it when you have a bunch of monsters you want to get down at the same time.

You can use them as a single-target-boost too, as Bramble is saying, and you'll a lot more damage (since you can keep using single target spells while your firewall is up; it's a very noticeable DPS increase), but expect to burn through your mana fast, because they're not meant to be used against a single target.