Forum - Paw'd Skill Planner

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Paw'd Skill Planner  (Read 2578 times)

localguest

• Bluebell
  • The everchanging winds drift so gently...
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:23:42 am »
I got inspired by the idea from other games of players; oftentimes, people would write a comprehensive guide specialized for their class. But in order to achieve this, they need a hefty sum of information on most of the classes from a couple of viewpoints as well. My bold idea was to create a spreadsheet to accomplish this, and so here's my skill planner, of course anyone can suggest their builds to be added into it.

How it works: Each of the skills are set in a similar layout like in-game. If you want to look at the skill information, I have it as a note on the name of the skill (so you can hover over it to find the information). I added as much information as I could from three perspectives, being underleveled for the skill, the skill's general information and the detailed information from right-clicking on the skill. You can change the level to whatever you want, but watch out for skills that need you to be at a higher level first. It's no surprise if you find mistakes in the information, because I'm still constantly searching.

I even tried to emulate the skill restrictions as best as I could. The gray squares beside "Skill Check:" will show numbers or letters (#0, #1, #a, #b). These indicate the errors that you still have in your build, and to create a correct build, you must have none of these error numbers/letters showing. The note in "Skill Check:" for that element contains the list of problems that you'll need to know. Numbered errors represent problems with your prerequisites, while lettered errors represent problems with stuff such as "need x points in Wind skills". The only problem I have left is making level restrictions for each skill, but I have that information in the notes for each skill already.

I know that I already posted this as a reply in Dan's guide, but just throwing it out there for people who want to save a bit of gold, experiment with combinations of skills, and know what damage/effects the skills would be when maxed. This skill planner lists some of the helpful threads and their links too within the forums. Enjoy!

https://goo.gl/HbpA4J
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:30:20 am by localguest »

localguest

• Bluebell
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:23:22 am »
Well, here's to an update in the Skill Planner. I've covered a lot of additional stuff, such as getting the level restrictions finally done, so now it should truly help any level that's not 40. The skill name will change to a red font that tells you if it's incorrect for your level, or with a gray font when you can't learn the skill yet (excluding skills that were already auto-assigned or require a level of 1 to begin with).

An expanded error function has been added on the top-right corner of the skill planner. When turned on to "Yes", it will reveal a bunch of text to the right. It is a big list for all of the errors (numbers and letters) toward that class that you see from the gray boxes and compiles it into some text right below, showing what skills are being affected/needed in order to fix your error.

I reworded some of the info in the Hunter's section, since it did seem a bit off from the rest. A bit more was added to the general info at the bottom section to cover a few more things.

I moved the skill list (that looks more of a summary to be honest) towards the top and added a feature that allows you to hide all those "(0)"s for skills that you didn't learn, making it look cleaner with the switch of a yes or no option.

Even though the forums are dead, I still hope it can help someone out, cheers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:47:19 am by localguest »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:54:41 pm »
Even though the forums are dead, I still hope it can help someone out, cheers.

How alive forums are depends a lot on how much people interact and help. Vets only sitting there and leaving new players to their own devices sure isn't helping. :)

Getting into the game and helping people beats a theoretical tool. A theoretical tool provides self-service, where someone can figure out their skills alone. This isn't really a game that you should play alone.

localguest

• Bluebell
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:49 pm »
In some ways, I have to agree, although it's contrasting on my own piece of statement. But I think a good chunk of the problem has to do with social sites such as Discord taking away the fun from Paw'd in terms of simple conversations.

Helping new players has been and will continue to be a vet's job, but most of them fall short because of the drought of newer players coming, and some of the newer players happen to be taking really long hiatuses or simply aren't interested in the game enough. Which doesn't mean we should neglect them, per say. It comes down to a lot of people, not just me to be able to cope with what we have than saying no at first sight.

I'll admit that the latter half of the skill planner is a tad overkill and encourages independency, but some vets are not easily forgiving to others and make silly choices. For example, one of the newer players may be rejected by multiple vets when asking for help. But I think of my tool more as something to assist the players that are not easily reached out to by the community. It's no big deal because I can remove that part that contains the abundance of information too, and leave the skill planner itself intact.

That being said, I think May and June are two of the most busiest months of the year, and a lot of people may be busy studying for tests or exams, or dealing with projects. They may consider their academic marks to be a priority over using a lot of that time just to help the newer players.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:21:10 pm »
Discord may be "taking away fun" for you, as a vet who is not doing stuff with new players, but don't draw conclusions based on what you're doing. If a vet is just coming on once in a blue moon, just sits there to chat, then yes, surprise, surprise, there are dedicated chat clients for that. However, I am not catering around these vets. In addition, when a vet helps someone like one time, and then disappears, and then the new player waits for them and waits, and waits - yes, then they'll end up going on a "hiatus".

Frankly, what's different right now is that the mods are currently not running with new players, as we've done for the last year, and rather help others through higher level dungeons - because it's a bit sad that we haven't cleared the depths for a year, simply because we've been doing BFA and Mona with new players for that long. Also, a little hint:

The problem isn't in the well-connected nodes in the graph (=dungeon runs in the last 2 weeks) that drag a group of people around them.
The second thing that's different is people with their own agenda ("I won't run with X" or "Wow don't run with Y those are loser groups." or "I think I scared off Z, or XD?" ). I don't cater around those, and rather support X, Y and Z here.

I also don't really think it's necessary to gather a lot of information and put it off-site. There's forums and a wiki. Off-site content suffers from link-rot. There's no reason not to improve the wiki.

Anyway, with all that being said, I do intend to remove this thread. While it does link a tool that you put considerable effort into, it's in part - also because of me, after I didn't take that - a rant that sullies the point of having such a tool. I rather focus on doing my thing, at my pace, as I've been doing. If vets want to help and play with new players, that's great. If they don't, then that's fine with me too - but then I don't need them to complain. A thread constructively involving people is preferred over one that's out of touch with the current players (not inactive vets!), where stuff is just assumed without data. :)

In addition, I rather have folks talk, anyway.