Forum - In-game movement

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: In-game movement  (Read 1633 times)

Herbie

• Bluebell
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:45 pm »
After lots of thoughts I finally decided to put that major complain here. It's about the clumsy style of platforming present in the game. I noticed that even some of the players that play this game for longer time than me are sometimes having problems with it. Especially the caves are a pain. But the thing that shows how bad does this mechanics work is the "Fastest thing alive" quest. While training either the lower or upper route I noticed that:

1. Almost always even if I constantly press a directional key heading towards the ledge (lower route) my character stops moving, then, after some thoughts finally decides to move;
2. The log near Laurel's (?) flat: if I try to use mouse to jump upwards lots of times I jump up and left instead of up-right; if I try to use keyboard here instead of jumping up I fall down;
3. When trying to do the upper route after trying to jump down near the upper mail box to then continue running to the right I suddenly start to run back upwards for no reason;
4. Several times when trying to use keyboard I fell far down after trying to jump on the log to the left from Melissa.

Those are only some examples. The problem with this quest is not the speed in which you are moving, but the clumsiness of controls you have to constantly fight with. During normal gameplay it is not such a problem, but when the time is limited... It gives a feeling of getting some "artificial difficulty".

There could be 2 solutions for this:

1. Either to remove some "borders" that are limiting the game from becoming more "classic platformer-like"
or
2. To make the game better controllable solely with the mouse, simply to make both control schemes "equally useful".

Anyway I bet that there is a way to make the game run simply smoother in this context.

Herbie

• Bluebell
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:16:54 pm »
In addition: I finished both of the running quests, so my complains do not come from the fact that it was too hard for me ;)