Forum - Professional mode on monster tag

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Professional mode on monster tag  (Read 4478 times)

Shaun

• Bluebell
  • With Christ all things are possible!
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »
Ok after repeatedly trying out monster tag with friends I noticed its a bit too easy in some points, don’t get me wrong it may be suitable for lower level players say 14-19, however as for players 20+ I think they should be given more of a challenge. So here is what I suggest could be done...

To start, the goal objective should be a little more difficult, in stead of having to kill 3 monsters the total number of targets to aim for could range from 6 to 8 targets. next, obstacles should also be stronger or add additional obstacles such as the "vile spirits" located in the haunted mansion, after seeing those and there attacks I figured they would make great obstacles for the professional monster tag mode, especially considering the curse of slowness ability they have, which could make it more difficult for players to achieve their goal. The original ghosts used in the previous monster tag could also be reused in professional mode as well.

(Optional additions)

Time attack mode: be the first to "capture" and hold 6 rare monsters before opponent in less than 3 minutes, penalty if both player fail to succeed, Casper will K.O. both players leaving no one with any tokens. during game play players will be required to capture (A.K.A. kill) 6 rare monsters and survive for the remaining time limit if player is knocked out by either obstacles or other players their capture count will drop by 4, opponents will "not" be able to pick up K.O.ed players monsters (receive opponents earned points) after a successful K.O.

New types of enemies: for professional mode it could make things interesting if the monsters you fight here are different form the previous version of monster tag.

Example: bats replace gnats / fliffies replace caterpillars. Or friged spirits replace gnats / frost demons (Frigus look-a-likes) replace caterpillars. Etc.

New stages: if I recall correctly there are only 2 different maps used for monster tag, well to make things more interesting for those who try professional mode perhaps 2 new maps could be added, like a snow plains map or haunted mansion map.

(Final words)

I am well aware that you have a lot of work on your hands to worry about so if anything said in the optional column is going to be too much work for you, ignore it, as much as I would like to see my ideas put to good use I don’t want to overwork you. Besides everything you’ve done with the game so far is really great, weather or not it needs this additional mini game in it is entirely up to you.

Well hope these ideas were helpful, if you need to talk to me for what ever reason regarding this you can reach me on D.A. or through the games mail system. Please let me know your thoughts on this as soon as possible, thanks.

-Megasystem008 (Leon)

Daymare

• Noxxara
  • Day
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:37 pm »
i like that.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:06 pm »
Yeah - monster tag is rather easy - and the other problem I have is that there's a luck factor involved: You may run across the rare monster, or you may not. It's true that some players are more skilled than others in monster tag - but even there, an unlucky strike can easily make them lose 3:0 no matter how skilled they are.

I noticed that usually, when players queue for monster tag, they want to play together. Monster tag queues are never full, I think the only time players queue for it is if they want one of the items, or simply want to play with another person. Because of that, I don't think splitting up by levels may be a good idea yet.

That said, I could make it switch difficulties if all players happen to be over 20 or so. I agree, two maps is a bit little, they do get old pretty fast.

To start, the goal objective should be a little more difficult, in stead of having to kill 3 monsters the total number of targets to aim for could range from 6 to 8 targets.

That wouldn't be difficult, but I think it may drag out the battle? It's pretty long already. If I raise it to 6-8 targets, I'd also increase the spawn rate to spawn two monsters at a time.

Obstacles should also be stronger or add additional obstacles such as the "vile spirits" located in the haunted mansion, after seeing those and there attacks I figured they would make great obstacles for the professional monster tag mode, especially considering the curse of slowness ability they have, which could make it more difficult for players to achieve their goal.

That's a good idea; perhaps they should be mostly stationary - so players can choose between avoiding them (and not get the debuff), and running past them to explore the area beyond (and getting the debuff).

Time attack mode: be the first to "capture" and hold 6 rare monsters before opponent in less than 3 minutes, penalty if both player fail to succeed, Casper will K.O. both players leaving no one with any tokens. during game play players will be required to capture (A.K.A. kill) 6 rare monsters and survive for the remaining time limit if player is knocked out by either obstacles or other players their capture count will drop by 4, opponents will "not" be able to pick up K.O.ed players monsters (receive opponents earned points) after a successful K.O.

Giving no rewards at all may be a bit too harsh. Time attack is also a little bland if the monsters are spawned on a 30 second timer and the whole thing is luck based. What I like, though, is the idea of involving PvP: I could make it so killing another player gives you one of their rare monsters.

New types of enemies: for professional mode it could make things interesting if the monsters you fight here are different form the previous version of monster tag.
Example: bats replace gnats / fliffies replace caterpillars. Or friged spirits replace gnats / frost demons (Frigus look-a-likes) replace caterpillars. Etc.
New stages: if I recall correctly there are only 2 different maps used for monster tag, well to make things more interesting for those who try professional mode perhaps 2 new maps could be added, like a snow plains map or haunted mansion map.

Yup, a change of scenery is a good idea - two maps really is a bit meh. A good snow plains would be the map Rina is on, and the broken hallway in the haunted mansion would actually make a good TvT map as well.

Overall, I think those are good ideas to spice up monster tag a bit (which admittedly is a bit lackluster). The suggestions are a bit of work, however (and nothing much I can delegate, because it's almost entirely scripting) - so I don't know how quickly I can add them. I have a dungeon I would like to finish, but after that, I have no issues with adding this in. If I feel like needing a change from coding dungeons, I may even add them sooner, who knows. ;P

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:19:18 am »
What if you gave caterpillars different powers?? Like maybe they can make spikes come out where you are standing[if you make these i think they should b purple :D] Or the gnats larger with more health so it take longer to get the petals.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:31:59 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. ;P That means the caterpillars need to have more health too, no? XD

Berry

• Noxxara
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:25 am »
Yeah i guess giving the caterpillars more health better and will make it more interesting. Maybe there can also be giant fliffys that shoot carrots at you!![Iif u do make these i think they should b pink!!]

Daymare

• Noxxara
  • Day
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 02:12:33 am »
Yeah i guess giving the caterpillars more health better and will make it more interesting. Maybe there can also be giant fliffys that shoot carrots at you!![Iif u do make these i think they should b pink!!]
Why pink? :P

Berry

• Noxxara
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:17:09 am »
i dunno. I think since there is a blue caterpillar and a gold gnat that myb the harder creatures should b different colors too.

hippo

• Noxxara
  • -asp-
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:58:38 pm »
did this get implimented?
i dont remember seeing it

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »
No hippo. it did not. if it will or when i don't know and cannot say. It's kind of not my place but i assume there are still higher priorities on Toby's own list so if it does get added in we just gotta wait for the moment.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 05:50:22 pm »

As Kit said, other things are higher priority. There is a limit to how much you can do with MT, because a lot of it is based on luck.

Taiton

• Lint
  • I was banned for being a complete jerk. X.x
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 06:57:59 pm »
actually couldn't you make a second option? like level 20+ has to click harder MT when 0-19 can do easier?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:40:44 pm »
actually couldn't you make a second option? like level 20+ has to click harder MT when 0-19 can do easier?

I can do everything; keep in mind though, priority.
Unless you want to implement it, which is fine by me.