Forum - Status Page/Profile?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Status Page/Profile?  (Read 2193 times)

Zelos

• Baby Bluebell
  • <3 MacGyver <3 Zelos <3 Zak B <3
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:19:12 am »
Not sure if I made the subject name right but oh well o.o Anyway, what I mean is that... there COULD be a little 'info' about you when other players click on you like in other games.

It can contain your level, and small info such as:

(Example)
Name: Zelos (The title 'name' doesn't have to be there) {Status name} - Chosen Tethe'alla (JUST USING AS EXAMPLE) (It can be champion of Ayasha, Ghostbuster, etc)
Level/Current Level: 20
{Avatar pic}
Interests: Hai thar my name is Zelos Wilder :D But you can call me Zelos :3 I AM RANDOM DUR x] - (Okay Idk what, just saying example xD)
Exp: (exp is optional)
Next exp: (Again, optional)
(Add to friends?)

And it can appear at the top corner of the left screen maybe?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:42:10 pm »
It's definitely worth a thought. :3 My reasons why I haven't implemented it so far are:

- It would put additional moderation strain on GMs (in case people put inappropriate stuff on there).
- It would make things much easier for spammers. Sure, they could spam even now, but they'd need to be actively on the computer, and then it's something that any passing moderator would see. With profiles, they can put their spam in the profile fields, and park their character at a popular place - so it'd be much harder for a moderator to see what's going on, unless they explicitly check their profile, check their links, or respond to a report.
- I kind of want to encourage people actively interacting with each other, too. Somehow I feel asking and find out more about them is more exciting than letting people park their character "on display" and people clicking through profiles.

I usually don't see this kind of functionality on games I've seen: World of Warcraft doesn't have it, Ragnarok Online doesn't either, and neither does Maple Story - and that's it for the MMOs I know. I've taken glances at Flyff and ROSE, and I don't remember having seen it there either.
As for Flash games, Transformice doesn't have it from what I've seen, the only game that I can see having it is Gaia Online, but their central point is a profile to start with - so they don't get any additional strain (that they wouldn't have anyway) by linking that. Anyway; my point is that the bulk of non-niche games doesn't have it - but maybe you know of games that do. :3

That said, it might be implemented for "valuable" accounts, where people actually have something to lose: it might be accounts that have a bit of time invested in them, or similar. I'm not completely against it, but I'm also not as euphoric as others, and probably rather careful.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:44:18 pm by toby »

Zelos

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 03:05:50 am »
Aw I wish I can help D:

But I think I remember seeing something like that in Maple Story before... eh

Well I guess maybe time can tell, thanks for replying though xD

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »
Well, at least searching for "MapleStory profile" and looking at the images doesn't show a thing - that, together with me not remembering one, probably means they don't have that either. :3

Zelos

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:12 am »
eh oh well atleast i just pretty much shout out something random :'D