Forum - [Closed|Adobe Issue] Name clicking thing

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Closed|Adobe Issue] Name clicking thing  (Read 3284 times)

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:03:24 am »
You know how when you click on the name of a player you're whispering to right? for some reason, seems like i can only click the last letters instead of any part of the name. this normal?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:05:28 pm by toby »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:38:20 pm »
Works for me - can show show a screenshot of your mouse hovering a location where you cannot click a name?

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:35:08 pm »
http://myu.icyworlds.net:4901/data/screenshots/1466/54301c96.jpg and http://myu.icyworlds.net:4901/data/screenshots/1466/2be618e9.jpg . the first one is in which i hover the mouse over the first few letters or so. they don't make the finger appear. but the finals letters do.

EDIT: I also just noticed that it goes for things like [party] and such
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:38:02 pm by KitsonHeart »

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:40:55 am »
...Have you gotten any results?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:32:19 am »
Nope, I cannot reproduce this as it works fine for me.

Also, I feel like you're pushing me here (and also in that other post - I do not need to be supervised). Trust me, I do not forget about bugs, the forums are there to keep a record of them. However, some bugs are less serious than others, and some are much more work than others. If a bug is minor *and* also takes a lot of time to fix (because, for example, I cannot reproduce it, or because it's requires a lot of significant, wide-reaching changes), then it may take a while before get back to it, as I'll attend to other, more important matters first - including content updates. Pushing me won't do a thing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:36:28 pm by toby »

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »
sorry bout that...habbit. Anyways...yeah...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:49:50 pm by KitsonHeart »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »
Can you post a few more details about your internet browser? Firefox? Chrome? Internet Explorer? Safari? Maybe I can reproduce it that way.

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »
I thought i put it here before... must have forgotten to press post. Anyways, Firefox. And i noticed that it's also in the TvT BGT thing. but i also noticed that it happens like this: If the tip or edge of the cursor isn't on the letter, it won't go into the hand thing.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:35 pm »

That sounds a lot like a glitch with Flash - what I don't know is why it's happening on your computer, and not on anyone else's.

When you make a clickable button in Flash, you can actually click "through" it, if it has empty spots. So, if you make an "O", and someone clicks in the middle, it'd actually not hit the button, because nothing's there. I fix it by putting a transparent background there, which makes the entire "O" clickable.
Now, with text it's a different story: This is handled entirely by Flash - so I have no influence on it at all. I can only imagine that for some reason, it uses a different rendering method for your computer, and that causes the glitch.

Can you try accessing the game from Internet Explorer? IE uses a different plugin than Firefox, so it'd be interesting to see if it occurs there as well.

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:45:20 pm »
Ok. I'll try that.

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:48:41 pm »
I think it's with flash. I tried with internet and again, the empty spaces were just that, and no cursor for the menu appeared.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 03:03:08 pm »
Interesting; the only thing I can think of is that your Flash player, for some reason, uses a different engine to render HTML than the other computers.

The most appropriate place would be file a bug report with Adobe ("TextField links do not activate when clicked on empty spaces of a latter"). You can do that at https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm .

Don't hold your breath, though - I reported a bug once (which was reproducible at all times on every computer, so it should be super-easy to fix), and they retired it after three years of not looking at it, saying "oh it's been so long, we think it doesn't matter anymore. If you still have the bug, report it again ok?".

Someone else reported a similar bug, which they also "deferred" indefinitely (quoting them: "Thanks for your reporting. Unfortunately we couldn't fix this bug [...] We appreciate that anyone affected by this issue could leave vote notes about how the bug fix is important for you and your business." - basically, marketing talk showing that they didn't care about the bug - and that's after they said they were working on it). Both bugs show up as "resolved" now, by the way: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-648 and http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-666 . ;P

Adobe Flash also had another bug, where a website could turn on your webcam and record you without your knowledge (http://www.feross.org/webcam-spy/). They completely ignored that bug (kind of like mine), until the person who found it posted it all over the Internet. Only once huge sites CNET, Wired.com and The Register picked it up and posted warnings all over the place, that's when Adobe fixed it within a day. Until then, they didn't care a bit.

So basically, if you want to report it to Adobe - good luck. Unless you're getting some press coverage, however, count on Adobe saying F.U. after three years and closing your bug.

I'm also closing this bug now, not because I don't care (unlike Adobe), but because it is out of my hands. The problem is - alas - at Adobe, I have no influence of how they render their HTML links. ;_;
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 03:08:16 pm by toby »