Forum - [Fixed] Area spellcasting bug?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Fixed] Area spellcasting bug?  (Read 2640 times)

Akaru

• Lint
« on: October 22, 2011, 01:19:24 am »
Sometimes, when I try to use an AoE spell (like sleep powder or flame wall) on a large group of people, the game won't let me cast the spell; it instead returns to the default pointer.

Not sure if this is a lag issue instead, because I couldn't reproduce the bug while testing it outside of battle.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:10:46 pm by toby »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »

Kind of tough to say - what would be interesting is to see what *side effect* you get when the cast fails.

As in, it returns to the default pointer, but what else? Does it select a target? Does it make your character move? Does it pop up a "select the character" list?

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:53:23 am »
As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing: my character stands perfectly still, nothing is selected. What I'll usually do during these situations is alternate pressing between the hotkey and the LMB, while moving the mouse about, until I get a successful cast. I'll keep an eye out next time in TvT.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 02:43:45 pm »
If nothing is selected, you might have clicked on an element outside the game screen, such as a window or a menu. I can make you click through these, which should help a bit.

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »
Just to solidify my findings in one place for reference purposes.

During TvT, I was unable to use Fire Wall on certain occasions, which I have listed below:

http://myu.icyworlds.net:4901/data/screenshots/559/1b40f21a.jpg
In this situation, I found myself unable to cast Fire Wall directly over the Sacred Relic. Instead, I had to cast it just slightly to the left.

http://myu.icyworlds.net:4901/data/screenshots/155/6cbfc15a.jpg
Same situation for the door, when I tried casting directly over it, it simply wouldn't work.

http://myu.icyworlds.net:4901/data/screenshots/155/8ac5f9.jpg
Somehow I ended up casting it over the fountain, instead of over where my cursor is.

Pretty sure my cursor was inside the game screen at all times. Also, definitely not a lag issue because when I cast it over an empty area, it works immediately almost 100% of the time.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:17 pm »
Okay, I'll add in another change then - after today's update, the game client will do the "cast area spell" check before checking anything else (meaning you can technically click through any windows as well, for now), so perhaps this will fix the issue.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:42 pm »
Is this still an issue with the current changes?

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
So far, I haven't been using it in a situation that causes the bug. I'll try it out in TvT today :3

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »
I haven't been able to use it over a crowd of people yet (GvG would be a better time), but I'm still unable to cast it over the doors or the relic, so I'm thinking it's still glitched ;_;

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:31:26 pm »
Hmm .. might be a problem with the platforming code from what I can see in the logs. I'll see if I can roll out an update that fixes this for good, today.

Edit: This was an issue with the client's platform selection code, and has finally been fixed. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:11:30 pm by toby »