Forum - [Implemented-ish] An About Me Page?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Implemented-ish] An About Me Page?  (Read 2216 times)

Lone

• Baby Bluebell
  • HerpDerpMerp
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:17:41 am »
Hiya there, Lone here. |D

I had an idea. Maybe we could put a 'About Me' Page in. Say if you typed, /info *Usernamehere* or /about *usernamehereagain* a thing would pop up. It would say, "Would you like to read about _____?" and you could click yes or no. If you clicked yes, a page would pop up, and the user you're reading about would write stuff there. Example: Hi, I'm Lone! I love to make maps for Icy and just, well, run around doing bosses! dksfywe. Lul, I'm spazzy, random..." ect. So if you wanted to write/edit your profile, you'd put /editprofile and then an edit box would pop up! Much like a send a letter thing, or something similar. So, you could get to know how succesful they were, what level and guild they are in/are... And so on. :3 Anyone like it? ^^
[/b][/u][/i]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:13:55 pm by Tobias »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 02:13:12 pm »
Hi Lone!

The reason I've been hesitant in implementing about pages is that they bear the risk players will just place themselves somewhere and stand there as advertising signs. It also discourages communication - right now, if you want to know something about someone, you can talk with them.

If about pages are added in, I fear that
  • certain players will just reply "ugh just check my about page plz" if you ask them anything.
  • certain players will present themselves as "trophies" or "statues", standing in popular places to get people look at them, while being AFK (which is already the case for certain folks, as I have seen).
  • certain players will blatantly advertise (/chat box with "check my about page"), being AFK in the city.

Sure, even right now someone could spam, but they have to be at the computer and actively do that - and chances are that a mod will see it eventually, and will /ckick or /flag them. Whereas, with a spammy about page, they passively stand somewhere, without any mod attention, and advertise.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea - it's a good idea if you trust everyone and believe in the good within man. Alas, this is the Internet.

Because of that - unless I know of a better way - an about page would only added to a few trusted players. And since I can already see the complaining of those who wouldn't have them yet (I can name 4-5 right away that I just know would spam me requesting an about page), I prefer not adding it until I have a bulletproof solution to all of the above points.

[Edit: User profiles have been implemented; these are not directly linked from within the game, but they can be checked here.]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:13:44 pm by Tobias »

Lone

• Baby Bluebell
  • HerpDerpMerp
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 06:29:22 pm »
Oh, I see what you mean! Okay, Thanks. ^^