Forum - Mage earth skills

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Mage earth skills  (Read 2162 times)

Akaru

• Lint
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »
So, I tried thinking up a bunch of them, seeing that Earth currently only has one skill (poor Spike Trap!) sitting by its lonesome among all the other skills... I think it needs some companions :D

Boulder Blow
Causes a large boulder to emerge from the ground, dealing X-Y earth damage.
Your standard basic elemental damage dealer. Has a minimum/maximum level of damage, more consistent at low levels, but increasing in range at higher levels.

Scattershot
Sprays X pebbles randomly over a large target area. Each pebble does Y damage to whoever it hits. 
An expensive AoE spell with some unpredictability, as to where the pebbles land. It could possibly all land on a single player, with massive damage (unlikely), spread itself out over a large group of opponents (most likely), or even completely miss (unlikely)

Terraform
Creates a mound of healing grass over the floor. The grass casts Revitalize on anyone who walks/stands over it - whether friend or foe.
Turns mages into a temporary priest :P A fixed AoE healing spell, but extremely expensive and has a large cooldown (20% of the mage's mana, 2 mins perhaps), a skill meant only for desperate/subjective situations.

Master of Terra
Passive. Enhances your earth spells according to level:
Level 1: 2% damage increase. Earth skills have a 2% chance to stun opponent for 2 seconds. Increases the minimum damage done by Boulder Blow.
Level 2: 4% damage increase. 4% stun. Spike trap immobilizes players now, instead of simply slowing them down.
Level 3: 6% damage increase, 6% stun. Scattershot shoots out X% more pebbles.
Level 4: 8% damage increase, 8% stun. Boulder Blow now explodes on cast, dealing minimal splash damage around target player.
Level 5 :10% damage increase, 10% stun. Terraforming lasts longer, covers a larger area, and casts poison spores on opponents instead of healing them.

My idea for the Earth elemental spells is basically a high-risk/high-reward build, with all of its skills being a gamble of sorts. :D

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:14:30 am »
Personally I am careful with mage changes; these in particular all seem to aim at making that class completely overpowered in PvP.

I also do not think that additional mage skills would be beneficial for the game as a whole.

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:11:57 am »
Actually, I envisioned it as a below-average DPS that sacrifices consistency to score higher damage, but then again, most "gambler" classes haven't really been successful in MMOs, either...

Perhaps Spike trap could be repurposed as a wind skill, instead? It just seems strange having a single skill that's out of place.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »
Actually, DPS is rather balanced - I checked the logs of boss battles, and all classes are pretty close to each other. Casters may need a very slight boost, but that's about it.

The spikes do have a purpose, so I wouldn't remove them: They're earth spells - earth is very effective against fire (+25%), and the slow they apply is pretty significant as well.
If anything, adding a single new skill (earth bolt, or rock shards) that works the same as icicle/firebolt (except with earth element damage) should ensure that mages have an elemental response to any type of monster.

[Edit: A single-target Earth-Bolt has since been added.]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:27:46 pm by Tobias »