Forum - [Implemented] Various TvT musings.

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Implemented] Various TvT musings.  (Read 2037 times)

Akaru

• Lint
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:44 am »
Just my two cents on a couple of aspects of TvT.

1) I think there should be a visible, if small, reward, for being the winning team. With the current system, it's pretty easy for someone to just go Rambo and ignore the whole teamplay to focus instead on killing opponents, because in the end, his/her team might lose, but he/she still gets his/her 65 Tokens. My idea would be to lower the cap on tokens slightly for the losing team (to 55 instead of 65), so that there's still an incentive to take the castle, selfish or not, but on the other hand, there's no benefit to passive observers on the winning team.

2) Currently, attacking players would often wait around until a certain time period (usually around 3-4 minutes remaining), and then rush in to take the castle, making it virtually impossible for the opposing team to stage a comeback due to the time limit. During this time, attacks are more or less half-hearted, aiming to weaken the castle rather than taking it prematurely. I'm not even sure this can be considered a problem; granted, it's a viable strategy considering current rules, and the defending team should be well aware of that fact. Still, it almost feels like I'm exploiting the time limit, rather than adhering to it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:25:35 pm by toby »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »
Re. 1) Agreed, that is a good idea. The penalty isn't that high either, but it's there. I will see if I can add that in.

Re. 2) It's a valid strategy, though. If you want to force the other team's hand, begin attacking their general. This will pretty much ensure PvP action (lest the general dies and they lose immediately). Even if they're standing near the relic, waiting around when they know their general is under attack is a huge gamble, because they don't know how close it is to dying without leaving the keep. If none of the teams battle, less tokens are given out at the end of the match, so waiting around isn't really in any teams interest. I kind of like how the battle gets more and more heated towards the end.

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »
If none of the teams battle, less tokens are given out at the end of the match, so waiting around isn't really in any teams interest.

Actually, that made me think of another thing: there's currently no reason why anyone would want to end the battle by defeating the general, aside from the trophy. All things considered, players would probably want to prolong the battle as long as possible in order to get the maximum number of tokens, for both sides. Perhaps the very act of defeating the general would give the team more tokens, as well?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 01:46:13 am »
There is a token bonus associated with defeating the general.

The general is technically simply a means of ending the battle in your favour if the other team does not participate (i.e. doesn't destroy the relic, or doesn't bother attacking). That's all.