Forum - [Implemented] Unread message viewer

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Implemented] Unread message viewer  (Read 2526 times)

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:38:54 am »
Haiii!!
When you have a new message, a little 1 appears or how many new messages you have, so I was thinking that when you have there is a new unread post or a new reply to one of your post, the number appears alerting you of this. I dont no if this would be very handy to everyone but it may be to people who check and post alot.
=^-^=
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:42:12 pm by toby »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:18 am »
I'm a little confused - you mean, if you receive a reply on the forum, you're notified in-game?

If that's the case, it'll be a little hard: Forum and game server are on different computers (different continents, even), so polling (server asks forum) is pretty much out of question, and pushing (forum tells server) is kind of messy too.

As a workaround, SMF does have an e-mail notification (and you have an e-mail, right?), so it could tell you that you have new replies on that way. I currently disabled it, because SMF does not support STARTTLS, so I'll need to spend an hour or so adding that into their current queue (or set up a local MTA).

Anyhow, let me know what exactly you mean, so I know if we're talking about the same thing.

Berry

• Noxxara
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:12:01 am »
No not in game. I ment like when u log into the forum

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:07:50 pm »
Hmm, it should do that. ;P I'll see what I can find out about SMF's notifications ;P

Berry

• Noxxara
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 01:42:04 am »
Ok thx

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »
Hi Berry!

Once you updated and confirmed your e-mail address in your profile, it'll e-mail you once you have personal messages, or replies to a thread you're watching. ^-^

Was a bit of a hassle to do, because SMF either requires e-mail address verification, or doesn't care about it at all. The situation we have here (e-mail addresses are optional, but if you want messages sent to them, you have to confirm it first, but if you don't confirm it, you can still use your account) they didn't consider, so I had to implement it. It should be working all fine now, though.

I also had to add in TLS support. No idea why they didn't think of that. X.x
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:29:36 pm by toby »