Forum - Character sizes

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Character sizes  (Read 3031 times)

Cinderstar

• Baby Bluebell
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:25 pm »
I've been thinking of an idea for character size! if this were to ever happen I think it'd be best if our characters only went either slightly bigger or slightly smaller, just for the fact that people can go a little crazy or it'd look very strange and out of place if they were like midgets .-. . Male and female characters look exactly the same right? so why not make their gender noticeable by height difference?

I'm not sure if this would work due to items being a certain size and attacks being positioned in the wrong spots etc but its worth a shot to ask if this would be possible?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:07 pm »
Bigger is a bit of a problem.
It'd require me to redraw the entire sprite sheet, realign the coordinates for each individual limb, reassign the equipment - in short, it's probably not going to happen.

Smaller is possible. Actually, right now you can eat dwarfberries to shrink yourself. Eventually we could have something where you could be younger, so you're permanently a little bit smaller than usual. I don't mind that at all, it's just a bit lower on the priority list. ;P

Gender differences by height - eh. The *best* way to go about it would be to change the statues of the characters entirely - but it'll be a bunch of work (especially with spritesheets and such). Though, males and females looking the same was never really a problem. You could always ask, though since it's the Internets, they can tell you whatever. The only reason the game asks you for your gender is so it knows, whether NPCs should address you as a "he" or a "she". ;P

TLDNR: Smaller - sure, bigger - probably not. Gender specific sizes - I'm not convinced. ;P

Cinderstar

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:33:29 am »
Yeah thats what I thought would be a problem x3 But yeah! I really like the sound of the age concept! If it were to happen, would it be for canine years or human years? c:

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 01:30:46 am »
i think that if sizes were to be implemented that gender sizes should really not be messed with xD

ways to become smaller yes ^^ but not too much that you're a pup

Or should there be? >3 actually i like that one idea xD only because I'd be the ASP child whenever i'm on.

while in real life it would make sense to have gender based sizes, i feel that it simply is not really required for Paw'd. and, well no offense in me using this, but you said that irl the first spider at the Hollow tree would go up to get Noxxy and the gang xD That's where i bring my basis for the topic of size.

Caydence

• Lint
  • Sup.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 05:34:33 pm »
Technically, we can increase and decrease the size of players? The enrage buff in PvP makes the players look larger, and the dwarf berries make players look smaller. So since we have a food item that gives a buff that decreases size, why not one that increases it as well?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:34 am »
So since we have a food item that gives a buff that decreases size, why not one that increases it as well?

Simple, because it will resize the character past 100%. It will look pixelated and bad. For enrage and such it's sort-of okay, because it's temporary (usually very short, too) and gets the point across. For something permanent, violating a rule that every artist should know (namely that sizing up looks horrible) is a bad idea. Works for 3D models and vector art - but not for drawings.

I don't think we need to be super realistic. In its core, this game is still about battles, and it has elaborate combat mechanics for that.