Forum - [Implemented] Any plans on a new storage/bag layout?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: [Implemented] Any plans on a new storage/bag layout?  (Read 2852 times)

edky

• Lint
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:47:55 am »
I can't tell you how much time I waste looking for items in a 200 item storage unit, or how many times I have to go searching for an item that jumps all over the place in my bag.  I have lost, misused items countless times because of this wonky layout system. If you don't already have an idea for a redesign, just use the guild layout system. Use it for the storage system. There is no reason not to. For the bag, use part of it. Set a 3 x 3 of it for the top portion, then let the rest of the items float in the old system below it. The idea is to lock in place certain items that are often used or needed in the bag.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:40:02 pm by Tobias »

Kevin

• Baby Bluebell
  • Ψ( ◉ω◉ )Ψ Choppa!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:45 pm »
Mmmmmm, I was thinking the same, I always have trouble with that little scroll bar, move it a bit too fast, and you end at the other side of the storage ^^
Another idea for the layout, is to have your own custom tabs, like:
-Potions
-Ingredients
-Equipment
-Things I don't know what they are for but look useful ^^

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 02:52:08 pm »
Well, there is no real layout or order in the bags at the moment. Whichever happens to be listed first by the database is what's popping up first.

The primary problem with storage and guild banks is that they use completely different systems. The storage is a (huge) list of items that you have, the guild bank is a huge list of slots, and each item has a slot assigned to it.
That's not to say that I'm not going to improve it eventually (how quickly depends how big of an issue it really is), but it's a pretty big change, and essentially requires me to rewrite the storage system to go from a simply list to a slotted version.

The quickest fix I can do is giving you some order - for the storage, I can return the items in alphabetical order. That'll preserve their rough position.

In fact, I can do the same for the regular inventory system as well. The problem with the regular inventory system is that new items you pick up are sorted at the end - which clashes with the alphabetical sort order. We could do something in between, where items are sorted initially, and new items just end up at the bottom. However, next time that player signs in, the newly picked up items will be sorted just like the others, which might still confuse them.

Fixed and dynamic portions are interesting - I'll see how that's best implemented. For now, I'll try these first changes. Maybe it'll help some.