Forum - a Map/background suggestion

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: a Map/background suggestion  (Read 3444 times)

Tabitha

• Lint
  • keep believing... whales can fly if they want to!
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »
I was thinking of a new way of moving besdies jumping, running, sitting, etc. and it hit me! Could there be like a lake we could swim in? maybe also with fish monsters like sharks? Or maybe catch fish in our mouths? Maybe a breathe meter too :D
Consideration time!     

-Tabitha
P.S. sparkle sparkle sparkle
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:23:01 pm by genny5b »

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:45:11 pm »
ya know, this seems like a good idea! ^^ but i think sharks would be going a bit too far. but piranhas sound good. XD then we could catch some dinner on the way. XP

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

Maybe some time in future. ;P This is a very different concept that'd require fundamental changes to the game engine; so I'd probably check whether there's enough content to justify the week of development time this would likely take.

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:16:40 am »
Maybe for now we could have a wading pool of sorts :D I'm thinking it shouldn't be that hard to implement: Just have a separate water layer on top of the characters so that we only see the top 1/4 of their body, or something like that. Of course there's the issue of artwork... when are you gonna hire me Toby? XD

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:20:03 am »
Of course there's the issue of artwork... when are you gonna hire me Toby? XD

I'll hire you when I actually get paid for the work I've been doing for the past years. ;P
And yeah, it's not particularly difficult to make characters wade: Multiple layers are already supported (how else would trees overlap you?) - but it's really obvious when you just walk into a body of water and all that happens is that the bottom 3/4 of your body disappear. Now, I could decrease walk speed and whatnot, but the point is, it'll still look rather cheap. I'd need to add at least splashing effects, perhaps some ripples - and that's a whole lot of work for something that'll perhaps only be used once.

It's not that I can't draw; I think after doing all this I know quite well that I can pretty much draw anything I want. It's more an issue of my time, and what I do with it. :3 If you're volunteering to add in stuff, that's great, maybe at some point it'll be a community project (the map editor and user maps are a start for that), but except for very few exceptions, I can't shell out a lot of money for something that not only doesn't earn me anything, but also costs me a sizeable amount of money (since I do need to pay for the servers, every month). ;P

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:51 pm »
Pfff, I'm kidding of course... it wouldn't be fun anymore if it became my job after all. :D I'm actually wondering how you manage to fund all this... from your day job, I presume? o.o