Forum - Fishing!!!!

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Fishing!!!!  (Read 3211 times)

edky

• Lint
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:13:52 am »
I don't know how many games I have played that incorporated some sort of mini fishing game within them, but there were a lot - Japanese love fishing (part of their culture). So, why not Paw'D. It would break up some of the monotony  of grinding and mining for gold from enemies.  It would also add additional items for people to find and buy. And there are already plenty of place to already potentially fish in the game - including the fountains XD.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »
Personally I don't think the game is "monotone" due to "grinding" and "mining" gold at all. There are sufficient quests and dungeons do reach the level cap without grinding even once.

If the reason for monotony is reaching the level cap and clearing the dungeons, then I feel adding features that involve people doing nothing for prolonged period of times (I always find fishing in MMOs very monotone) isn't going in the right direction. In addition, while it may seem simple, adding fishing is something I can't just implement and "leave it like that" - if I start doing that, I have to keep adding content for fishing as I add levels - it's a short term "solution" to keep people busy a bit more, with a lot of additional work in the long term. I already should be adding in more cooking and alchemy recipes.

I rather add proper content, but that needs time - especially considering that over 99% of the content is done by me, and additional help virtually doesn't exist. It could be so simple: you have 5 hours in the evening you don't know what to possible do with, and feel you're just "grinding"? Write a quests, draw items, I have been accepting everything since forever, but gotten very very little. These would all be added in, bamm, instant new content and new things to do. Writing quests and drawing items is getting quite close to making your own game without having to type a single line of code or providing the infrastructure. What instead happens is that virtually no one provides anything, leaving the overwhelming bulk of work on my shoulders, and leaving me to feel that I could always do more, more and more (but I'm already working on the game hours each day). Sure, some parts are best done by me: scripting encounters, adding code to the server and the client, there's no real alternative to that. Drawing items, writing quests, or making maps is something anyone can do. What happens in reality though, is that I have to do the things only I can do, and also the things everyone else could do. Nevermind the fact that everyone providing something had been compensated.

But we've been down that route already.  ;)

Yes, I do realize I do get some content help every once in a while: however they're part of the sub-1% of the work done. When I get a tiny bit of help every 2-3 months with something I could have done in 20 minutes myself, then it's hard to ignore the 99%+ I am doing. It's a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket; so tiny it almost doesn't matter anyway.

I hope this also answers the question "why not Paw'D". :)

edky

• Lint
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »
No need to say all that, Toby. I'm well aware of the situation. It was more of an inquiring, and hopeful, way of asking, in a sort of innocent sort of way, on whither you would be open to this idea. So, I will take your response as a "yes". XD

By the way, I have been anything but idle for the past month, besides monotony grinding/mining away. XD

Expect a few more contribution within the coming weeks. :)

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »
Well, I still think I should give a proper justification, hence I am saying all that. :)

You are welcome to contribute; as said, I do appreciate any contributions, even when they're minor.

edky

• Lint
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »
So, as long as I do the artwork for all of it, you'll do it. Gotcha. :)

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:02 am »
So, as long as I do the artwork for all of it, you'll do it. Gotcha. :)

Exactly. I have no problems with adding stuff - the game's extensible in that regard. Drawing does use up my (limited) time, so there's a quite finite amount of things I can add in a certain time span.