Forum - Mage Leveling

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Mage Leveling  (Read 3447 times)

Radiation

• Lint
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »
Hello, just wondering, what would you recommend for leveling up a low level mage character? I know that mages are usually... well, fragile, not much stamina and stuff, so I'd like to know what is good for a mage to do on his own without needing assistance from priests or warriors. Basically, what's good for a solo mage to kill without dying more than thrice?

Lillyeh

• Lint
  • Hello c;
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:42:38 pm »
Well, I'd suggest to kill a lot of the same monster that isn't low lvl and that gives you exp... I am kinda solo mage (too shy, XD) unless somebody invites me to boss battles :P

Balance

• Lint
  • Hiya, i'm Balance!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »
I'd say a good way to level a low level mage (lets say level 10) is to take a level 30 or so and let the 30 attack some mobs (maybe like Coralspike Lizards or Zombies). You'll get less xp, so this will take longer, but it's worth it for a higher level mage, especially because of fire attacks.

Foxleap

• Bizz
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:01:38 am »
Hm. I'd say that an easy way to level up a mage is to kill things that are 1-3 levels below you. That way they give you exp but don't kill you that easily. However, how I level up is doing quests and redoing the redo able quests that aren't low level. Taking parts in the world events that are around your level also gives you exp. And of course, killing bosses with groups is also an easy way to level up.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:51 pm »
I personally like running dungeons, but that's just me. XD You'd have to have a decent healer among your friends to do that.

That said, the suggestions in here are good. World events give a ton of experience, and quests are quite decent.

I'd say a good way to level a low level mage (lets say level 10) is to take a level 30 or so and let the 30 attack some mobs

Your experience from doing that is reduced by 90% - on top of the experience you lose from being in a group with highly diverse levels. I doubt this is a worthwhile way to level up.

I am kinda solo mage (too shy, XD) unless somebody invites me to boss battles :P

I invite you! If you aren't having dinner, or such. ;P

Radiation

• Lint
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:34 am »
Hmm, OK. On that note, is it good to have the skills Fire Bolt, Fire Wall, Mana Shield, and Skip for the first few levels?

Bramble

• Global Moderator
  • Lint
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 03:20:24 am »
Yeah, that's a pretty good point to start off at -- though a really important part of being a mage is regenerating your mana. If you don't have mana, you can't attack, and since your melee damage is really low, you would be useless at that point. Since you are constantly using your mana (and some of the skills you cast use a lot), using a mana potion will not really help you in most cases.
If you are in Saliko/Argan, fire spells do a lot of damage to most of the monsters in those areas, so you want to focus on getting fire skills, and in Ashaya/The Beach, wind spells do a lot of damage to most of the monsters in those areas. Ice spells are also useful in certain areas ... but earth? Not so much -- you can get it if you want, some people like to get wind and earth spells for one of their skill sets, but I personally think it is a better idea to get wind/arcane with flash freeze.
Anyway, each spec has skill(s) to give you your mana back, but one skill called Harvest Mana you can get with any spec since it is in the arcane section. Harvest Mana is an awesome skill because you regain 10% of your mana every second for six seconds (so you get 60% of your mana back). Yes, it does have a 3 minute cooldown, but even with the long cooldown, I cannot even begin to explain how useful this skill is. Though, like I said earlier, each spec does have a skill to regain mana, so you usually will have Harvest Mana / your spec's mana regen skill / mana potion (if necessary).
If you use fire attacks (obviously you should have Fire Bolt), two skills that are nice to invest in are Embers and Ignite. Embers is a nice skill that does damage overtime to your target, but it also has another great quality to it. If you use Ignite while your target has Embers on it, then you can regain 55% of the damage you did in mana, and the best part is that it only has a 7 second cooldown, so I personally get approximately around 400-700 mana every seven seconds. It's great!
If you use wind skills (you need Thunderbolt to get the mana regen skill), then you should get Overcharge and Lightning Rod. Overcharge is a passive skill that puts a debuff called Lightning Charge on the target whenever you cast Thunderbolt on it. Lightning Charge will stack. More stacks means that you do additional damage each Thunderbolt, and when you use Lightning Rod (which is the mana regen skill), you get 6% of your mana per stack, which is a decent amount, and it does not take long to get a big stack again.
If you use ice skills, there is a skill called Ice Crystal. When you first use Ice Crystal, it stores 25% of your mana into it (so I suggest the first time you use it, you use it before the fight happens). Whenever you need that mana back (I would say if you have 2/3 of your mana left, if you want to stretch it, 1/4) then use it. You can use it 2-3 times, and after that, it'll take 25% of your mana again and do the same thing. It may be an inconvience at some point, but here is how I do it.
Ice Crystal -> 2/3 mana (regen) -> 2/3 mana (regen) -> 2/3 mana (use ice crystal) -> Harvest Mana -> 2/3 mana (regen) -> 2/3 mana (regen) -> 2/3 mana (use ice crystal) -> Harvest Mana (if cooldown isn't gone, potion).
If you use Earth skills, you can get Rune of Wisdom. Place it down where you are fighting, and you and all of your group members will receive mana back. I am not sure of the exact amount and when you do, but that's how you get your mana back in that spec. I wouldn't suggest using earth though.
Hope I cleared things up -- feel free to ask me any more questions if you need any additional help :)

Radiation

• Lint
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 05:14:00 am »
Thanks for the detailed responses, guys (and special thanks to Bramble ^^)! I checked on the wiki - the mage page seemed to be largely empty? Is there not enough info (or too much info) to fill the page?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:43:53 am by Radiation »

Leopardstar

• Lint
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:57:13 pm »
Yeah I agree with with all those responses. I am a mage anyway ^-^. When I was around the lvl 7-10 range i always killed fliffies. There are just alot alot of them in saliko and thier easy targets to lvl with (if your like lvl 7-10ish). Well, goog luck lvling you mage Radiation!