Forum - To use or not to use?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: To use or not to use?  (Read 5427 times)

Shaun

• Bluebell
  • With Christ all things are possible!
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
I recently came up with an idea I could suggest for a new set of armor parts (yes its more than one) however I fear it may not be useful or not fit in with the game considering the era in which the game is set in. The only reason why I put this idea into consideration was because there is one thing...or should I say "character" in the game that is some what futuristic in a way and should allow my idea to fit in just fine. Im sure you all remember Territ from the quest "More trouble in the store room", if Im not mistaken, he "is" a robot correct? He is pretty much the only character I’ve seen in the game that is or uses mechanical components. With that said my final remaining question is, am I allowed to recommend an item or items that are mechanical?

Note: when I say mechanical I do not mean modern technology like advanced weapons or anything like that...putting something like that in a game like this really wouldn’t fit in at all...

what I mean is something like for example a mechanical armor part such as prothstetic arm or leg parts...and no I don’t plan to make it way too advanced with crazy weapons either, mostly just melee boost, defense boost, or speed boost purposes.

guess that pretty much covers it, if the idea is considered useable I will write out the full idea and more descriptive details in the suggestion column, if not...no worries, but still I think its safer for me to know ahead of time what the restrictions for recommending armor types are that what I know what I can and cannot add.

-Megasystem008-(Leon)

Daymare

• Noxxara
  • Day
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
I think that's a great idea! I'm already imagining what it would look like....

Shaun

• Bluebell
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »
I think that's a great idea! I'm already imagining what it would look like....

Thanks but the final decision is up to Tobias, if he gives me the ok that it "can" fit in with the games era (time period) without no problem or standing out too much then I`ll write out the suggestion and explain it more in detail. as for its appearance like I said I dont want to make it look "too" advanced or high tech, I`d say a good example of the style I might draw it out as (if the idea is usable or fits in) would be similar to the style of the "automail" as seen in F.M.A. (fullmetal alchemist) not too advanced but not too simple and either.

Akaru

• Lint
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:33 pm »
Thanks but the final decision is up to Tobias, if he gives me the ok that it "can" fit in with the games era (time period) without no problem or standing out too much then I`ll write out the suggestion and explain it more in detail. as for its appearance like I said I dont want to make it look "too" advanced or high tech, I`d say a good example of the style I might draw it out as (if the idea is usable or fits in) would be similar to the style of the "automail" as seen in F.M.A. (fullmetal alchemist) not too advanced but not too simple and either.

I do believe you mean steampunk? :3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk That's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't be able to believe it if everyone suddenly had similar mechanical arms/legs (which is probably going to happen after a while).

Shaun

• Bluebell
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:59 am »
I do believe you mean steampunk? :3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk That's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't be able to believe it if everyone suddenly had similar mechanical arms/legs (which is probably going to happen after a while).

I must admit this certainly is an interesting style, yet it seems rather complex, more complex then what I had in mind to do, not saying that I "cant" do it, its just not really what I had in mind, the style I’m referring to is something like this: http://cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/1593/38106/fullmetal067.jpg not too advanced but not too simple (well compared to what you showed me it kinda is...lol). Unless the automail from F.M.A. is based off of steampunk then yes I guess it would be considered a style I plan to use. And yeah chances are people might what to use these new types of armor parts however I plan to make different types so that way players can decide what type of armor is more suited to there combat style, like defensive combat and offensive combat. Anyway that’s the only amount of information I will be releasing for now, like I said weather or not I will choose to write out the fully detailed suggestion depends on Tobias.

note: the image displayed here is only an example of the style I might use, it wont be "exactly" like what is shown in the image.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:49:36 am »
Hi,

I might come back to adding armour like these if I find myself running out of ideas. :3

The current sprites only allow certain parts of the body to be covered by equipment; actually replacing anything isn't something supported by the sprites and would require me to do redo a lot of work that I've already done. I also think that cybernetic body parts does not quite fit into the timeline; yes, the academy of mages has been experimenting with robots, but they are a long way away from doing anything like this.
That said, you may find metallic gloves or whatnot pop up; if I find a scenario in which they may fit.

Shaun

• Bluebell
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »
Hi,

I might come back to adding armour like these if I find myself running out of ideas. :3

The current sprites only allow certain parts of the body to be covered by equipment; actually replacing anything isn't something supported by the sprites and would require me to do redo a lot of work that I've already done. I also think that cybernetic body parts does not quite fit into the timeline; yes, the academy of mages has been experimenting with robots, but they are a long way away from doing anything like this.
That said, you may find metallic gloves or whatnot pop up; if I find a scenario in which they may fit.

Ah ok, thanks, I already new the chances of putting in armor like this into the games current time period was a long shot so yeah, that’s why I preferred to ask first before writing out the suggestion. However like I said before if the idea were to be used I was planning to make sure that it wouldn’t have been too advanced. Plus another thing I had to take into consideration would be the power source for the mechanical parts. I mean come on, it’s not like you can just hammer a few bits of metal together and expect it to work (unless its just a plain old metal glove lol) , so I did come up with an idea for an item that can be made allowing players to use the mechanical parts. Example: item received rusted Metal amulet, item type necklace, combine with 1 Glittering emerald and 30 thunderstones to create "emerald generator". This will be the power source used to power any mechanical parts the players use. if your thinking micro chips and advance circuits is what I had in mind for the mechanical parts your mistaken, I figured the only sensible way to fit this in would to make the item some what magic based, not hardwire based XD. So yeah with that said if you still don’t feel this can be used I understand, like I said I already knew this idea was a long shot but hey at least I tried, that’s all that matters right?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:05:16 am »
Personally I am not too fond with replacing entire limbs with cybernetic counterparts; I just don't think it fits the picture. You either have to make huge continuity breaks (equip the item, your limb's gone, if it breaks or you take it off, it grew back again?) or fundamental changes to the game mechanics (cybernetic replacements are permanent) late in the development cycle (when you've worked on a game engine for two years without getting a lot of gameplay ideas from people, you don't just throw your own ideas away anymore, especially not when you're in the polishing stage already. If I do that, I'll never be done).

Don't get me wrong; there's merit to the whole idea, and Ragnarok Online does, for example, use Gunslingers in a magic based world. Having a class based around this, with energy (to power their mechanical parts) as their primary resource to worry about is feasible, however when it comes to adding new classes, I feel I should exploit traditionally common classes such as Hunters and Rogues first before moving to something different.

Shaun

• Bluebell
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:38 pm »
Personally I am not too fond with replacing entire limbs with cybernetic counterparts; I just don't think it fits the picture. You either have to make huge continuity breaks (equip the item, your limb's gone, if it breaks or you take it off, it grew back again?) or fundamental changes to the game mechanics (cybernetic replacements are permanent) late in the development cycle (when you've worked on a game engine for two years without getting a lot of gameplay ideas from people, you don't just throw your own ideas away anymore, especially not when you're in the polishing stage already. If I do that, I'll never be done).

Don't get me wrong; there's merit to the whole idea, and Ragnarok Online does, for example, use Gunslingers in a magic based world. Having a class based around this, with energy (to power their mechanical parts) as their primary resource to worry about is feasible, however when it comes to adding new classes, I feel I should exploit traditionally common classes such as Hunters and Rogues first before moving to something different.

I understand and it dose make a lot of sense what you said, besides I suppose you do have a point regarding if the armor breaks, that was something I put a lot of thought into myself, and yeah I guess it doesn’t really fit in too well, I guess its better if the armor parts remain simple such as ordinary gloves, hats, necklaces, etc. so yeah, I guess its best to lay this cybernetic limb subject to rest. Well anyway just keep up the good work with what you are doing already, I’ll see if maybe next time I can come up with something a bit simpler and more useful.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:06 pm »

No problem. Like I said, it's something that would be interesting - but this could be a whole new game where everyone's robot-like and has their own resources and capabilities. You're welcome to start one, but one warning ahead: it's a ton of work.

I might actually post some suggestion guidelines at some point. I don't want anyone to hold their ideas, but maybe it helps a little as to what I deem feasible. ;P