Forum - Classes Pro and Cons?

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Classes Pro and Cons?  (Read 4818 times)

Daahs

• Bluebell
  • Dosh is my alt
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:49:26 am »
Strengths and Weaknesses of each class (from what I thought up of):

Warriors!

Pros
+ Lots of HP
+ Lots of Defense
+ Can be played as Tank or DPS
+ Smite to stop those spells
+ Bash is a good stun move
+ Short Cool downs
+ Doesn't have to deal with Elements because Warrior's attacks are neutral
+ Cool bulky armor.
+ Stat building includes Strength, Dexterity, Agility , and Stamina.
+ Strength also helps with carrying more weight
+ Good against Mages in PvP
+ Can wake up sleeping targets with Growl
+ Have lots of available charms in-game to boost gameplay
+ You have an excuse to invade people's the enemy's space

Cons
- Not a lot of options against monsters (must remain close at all time to fight)
- Needs Fury to do cool attacks. To get Fury, you must attack something/someone
- Only way to travel faster by feet is to use Charge at a target., which costs fury
- AoE (Area of Effect) (Swipe) is somewhat small, compared to other classes (obviously, since Warriors use their paws)
- No natural elemental advantage
- In party play, a Warrior MUST play the role of the Tank, unless there is another warrior who is willing to play that role
- Some find Tanking horrible. Warriors must constantly feel the wrath of the boss (or group of enemies).
- In a high level party and in a low level dungeon, while scaled, if the tank is low leveled (like level in the level range of the scaled dungeon and noticeably lower than the party members' natural levels), the tank cannot hold the aggro well; therefore, the other members of the party has to hold back. This might take the fun out for other members of the party.
- Some find Damage Warrior hard to play and get jealous of other classes because other classes can kill stuff faster
- Other classes naturally do more damage; thus, warrior progresses slower than other classes and repairs armor more often than other classes in solo play.
- Must carry two sets of armor. One for Tanking, which has different stats from the ones for Damaging.
- Some people don't like the Warrior Armor as the way it looks
- Should use Potion of Fury often in serious battles; therefore, it has to use resources to get them or make them.
- Some might argue other classes are cooler, because other classes are more flashy.
- Constant watching at cool downs for about 4+ moves

Mages!

Pros
+ Lots of MP
+ Despite its low health, Mana Shield makes up for that.
+ Lots of Damage, so battles are quicker; therefore, there is less cost to repair armor.
+ Attacks are far away
+ VERY strong AoE (Area of Effect) attacks.
+ Use the power of Fire, Wind, Water, or Earth.
+ Travels quickly around with Skip to propel itself forward a certain distance and stopping fall damage when used in midair, and Teleport to teleport quickly to saved locations.
+ Versatile set of skills and options. Each set of Elements allows it to do some fun things, like burning, freeze, pushing, or slowing an enemy. With Skip, it can kite enemies easily. It can use Invisible
+ Simple To Play. In parties, mostly just mashing one skill and using another skill to regain mana, while dodging attacks. In solo play, you would do the same as you would do in a party, except you're kiting now; you also kill things very quickly.
+ Very easy to stat build. Put stats on Intellect mainly.
+ Fairly simple to decide what skills you should upgrade
+ Only need one set of armor. Equipment with "Magic" as a stat boost is Mage equipment.
+ Lots of available charms that are VERY helpful
+ Most charms are easy to get
+ Flashy skills
+ Convenient
+ Cool mage equipment

Cons
- Must reset skills, which costs gold, for VERY specific situations; thus, they have to go back to town very often. That takes time and gold.
- If caught off guard, may get hurt a lot.
- Susceptible to Smite and Bash to stop you from Casting.
- Only one Elemental Set should be used, otherwise your DPS goes extremely down.
- Must always play the DPS role
- Might not like the flashy attacks
- Have to learn how to play with different Elemental sets (there's four)
- Auto Attack does less than ten damage with mage equipment.
- Have to Cast to attack. The time to kill a Bluebell takes the same time to one-shot a Crystal spike Lizard.
- Some people don't like Mage Armor as the way it looks
- Weak to Warriors in PvP once hit (you can run by using Skip, but the Warrior can use Charge on you)

Priests!

Pros
+ Can heal others
+ Can buff others
+ Heal can be used against the undead and the dark
+ In party play, you're free to do what you want, as long as you're healing. In other words, you stand around, wait for someone to get damaged enough, then heal.
+ In solo play, you use Revitalize (a move that periodically heals you) on yourself and then keep attacking.
+ Can use Light, Dark, and Poison skills
+ Can make enemies go to sleep with NightFall
+ Lifeline of a party (no pressure)
+ Can solo bosses that doesn't have a berserk timer
+ Only need one set of armor. Armor with lots of "Intellect" as stat boost is Priest Armor
+ Lots of available charms to help
+ Cool religious armor
Cons
- Low HP and only way to make it up for it is gradual healing with Revitalize
- Easily killed when caught off guard, compared to Mage, where Mana Shield is the solution to being on guard.
- Arguably lowest DPS
- Must learn to balance out Healing skills and Damage Skills in solo play.
- Must predict lots of things, like if a player is going to die or not very soon. So, you must really know the boss fight
- Must maintain an idea of how much Healing a player should be given. Over-heals are bad
- Confusing on what stats should be built. Some argue Intellect and a bit of dexterity; but how much of each?
- Some people don't like the Priest Armor as the way it looks

These are the strengths and weaknesses of each class, 
Strengths and Weaknesses of each Class (from what I thought up of)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:29:43 am by Tobias »

edky

• Lint
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:54:12 am »

We had some discussion about that... XD. I'm still planning to create some more gender neutral/masculine armor for the priest... eventually.  I'll never forget the comments Kirk made about the stuff I was wearing as a priest that one time. XD

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:39:26 am »
Keep in mind there are costumes, too - you could wear all warrior armor as a costume if you wanted! ;P

- In a high level party and in a low level dungeon, while scaled, if the tank is low leveled (like level in the level range of the scaled dungeon and noticeably lower than the party members' natural levels), the tank cannot hold the aggro well; therefore, the other members of the party has to hold back. This might take the fun out for other members of the party.
- Should use Potion of Fury often in serious battles; therefore, it has to use resources to get them or make them.

I personally don't agree with a few things here - warriors with high levels of Shattering Strike and Growl in Defensive Stance do not have to worry about holding aggro. The only time they lose the boss to someone else is when they use Growl 2 that they get at level 8 in a level 30+ dungeon.

I don't think that any high tier warriors use Potions of Fury in battles (and it might not be smart doing so, since you forgo using a healing potion for the next two minutes, just to gain the same amount of fury you'd have gotten with your next auto-attack). As long as you are in the right stance for what you're doing, you get a lot of fury.

- Must reset skills, which costs gold, for VERY specific situations; thus, they have to go back to town very often. That takes time and gold.

As long as you a have fire and a water spec (similar to priests having a dps and a healing spec, or a warrior having a dps and a tanking spec), you should be fine. I rarely ever see Bramble go to town to reset her skills.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 01:35:35 pm by Tobias »

Bramble

• Global Moderator
  • Lint
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 04:51:19 pm »
Just wanted to clarify a couple of things...

+ Doesn't have to deal with Elements because Warrior's attacks are neutral
This isn't true -- warrior's can make their attacks elemental attacks by using elemental gloves on a main hand -- there's a fire glove, wind glove, earth glove, ice glove, and dark glove, so warriors have the option to make their attacks whatever element they want as long as they have the glove. Some gloves are more beneficial during certain fights due to the element of the monster you are fighting. Another option to make a warrior's attacks elemental is using a coating.

+ Lots of HP
+ Lots of Defense
Warriors naturally have more HP, but additional HP/defense is from getting the passive ability 'toughness', which is what tanks use. This increases your maximum health and reduces the chance that you'll get hurt by critical attacks. The amount of defense you have also depends on if you are wearing DPS armor or tank armor.

+ Despite its low health, Mana Shield makes up for that.
The downside to Mana Shield is that unlike Emerald Shield, how that skill prevents a certain amount of damage to hurt you at all, the damage you receive while having Mana Shield up is mostly inflicted on your mana (90% of the damage you receive will be absorbed by your mana). If you leave your Mana Shield up for too long, you will end up with no mana & you'll be left mostly defenseless, since you won't have the ability to use most of your attacks. It's really important to use mana potions or Harvest Mana while you do not have your Mana Shield up, otherwise it'll mostly be drained real quick anyway.

+ Very easy to stat build. Put stats on Intellect mainly.
While intellect for mages is important, it is also to use some stat points in both dexterity and stamina. Dexterity increases your accuracy and slightly decreases your cast time, so you cast your skills quicker. Stamina is also important because mage's don't have that much health generally, so while stamina is not the most important stat to get, it does help increase the mage's health.

- Susceptible to Smite and Bash to stop you from Casting.
Using Mana Shield can decrease the bash time by 75%, so a 2 second bash would go to .5 seconds.

- Auto Attack does less than ten damage with mage equipment.

This shouldn't really matter XD Mages focus their energy on ranged/elemental attack, not physical attack.

+ In party play, you're free to do what you want, as long as you're healing. In other words, you stand around, wait for someone to get damaged enough, then heal.

I don't think this is the way to think. I know a lot of priests who put in so much effort to do what they do. While healing may be easier in lower level dungeons, as the difficulty of the dungeon increases, so does the effort put in by the priest. I don't think priests just 'stand around'. In a lot of the dungeons that I do, they are constantly healing and are very reliant on their mana potions. Give priests more credit XD

+ Only need one set of armor. Armor with lots of "Intellect" as stat boost is Priest Armor

This is not true. Since priests generally have at least two skill sets (one for DPS and one for healing), they need two sets of armor. This is because DPS is more reliant on magic than intellect. It's the same deal as what Edky was talking about earlier with the difference between strength and attack on warrior armor, 2 intellect points = 1 magic. Typically, a DPS priest will use mage armor. Healing armor does not have as much magic and focuses more on intellect, since they need more mana to cast more heals.

Fiona

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:47 pm »

How is this useful information? The armour serves its function and there was clearly a lot of effort put into creating it. I find it really silly that you would include this in a post meant to help people understand classes.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:30:22 pm by Fiona »

edky

• Lint
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:43:33 pm »
How is this useful information? The armour serves its function and there was clearly a lot of effort put into creating it. I find it really silly that you would include this in a post meant to help people understand classes.

It's actual quite true. There are people who would like to see a more gender based, or gender neutral, armor, most likely to represent their taste and personality.  It's always good to express your views on something around here, in a polite fashion. Chances are someone will address it. In some cases, even that person can do something about it. Anyone can submit items, or drawings, and in some cases, maps and dungeons. It sort of a "see a need, fill the need" type of policy around here.

I, for example, saw a need to create more masculine armor for the mages.  I also saw a need to create a lot of  armor and weapons for the hunter, because that class had the fewest of that among the classes. There are a lot other stuff I have submitted for the other classes as well. I plan to get around to creating some more feminine armor for warriors, in the Xenna, Red Sonya, or Valkyrie type of way.

Fiona

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 10:03:17 pm »
It's actual quite true. There are people who would like to see a more gender based, or gender neutral, armor, most likely to represent their taste and personality.  It's always good to express your views on something around here, in a polite fashion. Chances are someone will address it. In some cases, even that person can do something about it. Anyone can submit items, or drawings, and in some cases, maps and dungeons. It sort of a "see a need, fill the need" type of policy around here.

I, for example, saw a need to create more masculine armor for the mages.  I also saw a need to create a lot of  armor and weapons for the hunter, because that class had the fewest of that among the classes. There are a lot other stuff I have submitted for the other classes as well. I plan to get around to creating some more feminine armor for warriors, in the Xenna, Red Sonya, or Valkyrie type of way.

I don't find that any of the classes look excessively masculine or feminine and, like Toby mentioned earlier, there is a costume availability for those whom it bothers that much.

My point wasn't that the armour is perfect and no one should ever make new ones. My point is that Daahs posting this in a thread meant to teach new players is not helpful. For every class he writes, pro: armour looks cool, con: some people don't like the armour.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:05:21 pm by Fiona »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 09:36:27 pm »
My point is that Daahs posting this in a thread meant to teach new players is not helpful.

Well, there is no harm splitting a thread. You are right in that the discussion started to go off-topic, and hence I've made this a separate thread.

I'm aware that priest armor involves plants/herbs/flowers (just like warrior armor tends to look more tough, whereas mage armour is more the enchanted kind of stuff) - however that's exactly why costumes exist. You can look whatever you want (as long as you own the armour), without having to gimp your stats.

More 'masculine' armor is also a good idea, because why not have the choice. Since costumes exist, it simply means you can wear more different stuff, and there's a higher chance you'll look exactly like you want. It's a win-win situation, with the only price being the amount of time it takes to draw the armour.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:42:10 pm by Tobias »

PinkKitten

• Lint
  • I'm all Pink XD
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 05:56:43 am »
- Some people don't like Mage Armor as the way it looks

Do I look like a "Bad witch" to all of you mage armor haters?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:59:36 am by PinkKitten »

Achala

• Bluebell
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 10:27:26 am »
priests...lowest...dps? *Screams and poisons Daahs*

Rosey

• Lint
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 02:08:08 am »
Is this supposed to be the important information? Because there's a few extra that you don't need at all.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:55 pm »
Is this supposed to be the important information? Because there's a few extra that you don't need at all.

Wait what

Astreon47

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:32 am »
I thought that most of the info was useful, though some could be left out. Overall, very helpful.