Forum - Being kicked out of TFM!

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Being kicked out of TFM!  (Read 2508 times)

PinkKitten

• Lint
  • I'm all Pink XD
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:06:44 am »
I know this needs to be in off topic but... I got kicked out of TFM by being a 10 yr old and i didnt do anyting wrong! what is wrong with these ppl!? ( TFM has a terms and conditions )

Foxleap

• Bizz
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:01:56 am »
Normally on online games you must be 13 years or older to be able to player. However, if you have permission from your parents (Signed papers I believe) you can play younger. Re-read the Terms and Conditions, normally they say this. (Same with this game..If you're not over 13 now then you can be banned.)

Also, it as an internet tip, it's best not to reveal your age to anyone online...

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:53:00 pm »
The reason for that (and for almost any page not allowing children under 13) is COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection act) - which requires whoever has a website to obtain parental permission if they know they "store or share" information from a child younger than 13.

Since chatting does count as "sharing" information (you're saying something in chat, and the game shows it to the other person, so I just shared what you said with them), and since sending a mail does count as "storing" information (if you send someone a mail, I need to store that in the database until the other person picks it up, so I can show the other person the mail), it applies to this site as well.

And since you just said yourself you're 10, I obviously know you're younger than 13. ;P
COPPA is US law, so I also obviously have to follow it.

So, that's the back story. Now, I don't kick out people immediately, but I still need to get the permission form, since I know you're not 13, and if I keep "storing and sharing" information, I would violate US law.  What I do is when I know someone's not 13 yet, I stop "storing and sharing" information immediately (disable chat / forum posts / mail / etc), and check the past forum posts for personal information. If I don't receive the form within some time, I delete them entirely, so I don't get in trouble.

Hope that shed some light on this. What you need to do, though:

• Ask your parents if it's OK if you play this game (and chat with other people on the internet).
  • If they're OK with it, they need to tell me - I have a permission form (you'll see it in your in-game mail) that they need to fill out and return to me. On the form, I ask for some contact info from your parents, so I can contact them if there's any trouble (and likewise they get my contact info, so they can contact me).
  • Once I receive the form, I save it form securely, and re-enable chat/mail/whatever your parents allow you to do.