Forum - A possible new class

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: A possible new class  (Read 6253 times)

Shaun

• Bluebell
  • With Christ all things are possible!
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »
Title: new character class

Class name: Ranger / Archer / Hunter (which ever sounds better)

Background: a unique class whom prefers to attack foes at a distance, unlike all other classes’ rangers rely on endurance to assist them during combat.
Starting level of endurance (A.K.A. mana or fury) will be 100; players will receive 12 additional endurance points each time they gain a level. Adding points to intellect will not have any effect on boosting endurance points.

Auto attack: standard attack

Dart shooter: a modified version of the standard sling shot made by rangers, allowing them to shoot faster and deal twice as much damage than the original sling shot. Uses 15 endurance points. 

Boomerang Toss: throw a boomerang that makes a horizontal U turn in air as it returns. Good for attacking multiple foes in front of you and above. Uses 40 endurance points.

Bow and arrow: shoot target with an armor penetrating arrow. Uses 20 endurance points.
•   (optional) equip element-
o   Flame arrow: hit enemy with a flaming arrow igniting enemy upon impact, lasts for 15 seconds.
o   Poison arrow: hit enemy with a poison tipped arrow dealing continuous damage for 20 seconds.   

Repeating Crossbow: shoot target with 4 arrows. Uses 50 endurance points.

Mini cannon: fire a powerful mid ranged cannon shot dealing heavy damage to any targets in front of you. Cool down time 5 seconds. Uses 90 endurance points.
•   (optional) ammo types-
o   Spread shot: fire a horizontal V shaped burst of iron pellets dealing multiple hit damage to any targets caught within the blast. The amount of damage received by this attack will be divided into 3 categories.
    “Point blank” being the most effective and more likely fatal, may also cause a push back effect (Total hits: 10).
   “Mid ranged” not as lethal as point blank but still dealing a heavy amount of damage to foe (Total hits: 5).
   “Long ranged” which will deal a rather minor amount of damage to foe (Total hits: 3).
o   Explosive shot: fire a midrange explosive cannon ball at a single target, any near by targets will also receive damage as well. Causes an additional ignite effect to foes. (strength level will be that of the trash ability used by warriors)

Camouflage: become invisible from foes for a set of time. You will not be able to move but can still perform ranged attacks. Note: any movement will cancel your camouflage. After firing a ranged attack you will be come visible for 5 seconds before fading back into camouflage. (Absorbs 5 endurance points per second as long as ability is active)

Ground trap: place a hidden trap within the ground invisible from all foes. Note: any movement will cancel this ability. Trap will only be visible to the player who sets it and his or her group members. Trap will remain visible to enemies only 5 seconds after being set by its owner before fading away. Only one trap can be set at a time unless previous trap is disarmed/retrieved. (Uses 25 endurance points)
•   (optional) Trap types-
o   Poison trap: (works the same as poison traps Territ gives you during the “More trouble in the storeroom” quest)
o   Flash freeze trap: Instantly freeze first target who steps in the trap for 12 seconds. Freeze effect is canceled if target is hit.
o   Steel Jaw leg trap: stuns first target who steps in the trap for 12 seconds. (players can be freed by allies during TVT)
o   Blaze trap: trap erupts with a lingering burst of fire for 12 seconds. Causes ignite effect to any who touch the flame and continuous damage to target still caught within the flame.
o   Explosive trap: explodes upon being touched by opponent launching them into the air. (similar to the geysers used by Frigus) 

Eagle eye: (ability is always active) enables player to target and attack enemies from greater distances as long as the player has a lock on them. Note: this ability may not apply to all skills.

Recoil swipe: a weak but useful melee attack that repels some foes, an effective way to gain distance between you and multiple targets if you are surrounded. Uses 10 endurance points. Cool down time 8 seconds (similar to the swipe attack used by warriors only deals weaker damage but has a strong push back effect)

Patient sniper: (stance based skill) increases the chances of delivering a critical hit on a target using a ranged weapon if you remain still for more than 12 seconds.

Anxious predator: (stance based skill) boosts agility and melee based attacks but lessens the chance of you hitting a target with a ranged weapon. Additional effect: blessing of speed.

Notes: coming up with a majority of these skills and abilities took a lot of thought and in a way some common sense, example; no class should be invincible or superior to all other classes and must have weaknesses like all others. Another thing I had to consider was the total number of skills and abilities for this class as well, so far after looking at both priests and warriors they both have at least a total of 18 skills (19 if you include the emerald shield for priests and 16 for warriors not including the battle or defensive stances). So I tried to come up with as many skills and abilities as possible that seemed good for a hunter/ranger class character. In addition to this I also added substitute abilities for certain skills, like ground trap, mini cannon, and the bow and arrow. These sub skills can either be their number one effect or unlockable effects that can be equipped either by combining them with your current weapons and certain items you obtain like the fire flower or bottle of toxins, etc or through the skill tree. This is not the same for all though, the weapons such as the ground trap or mini cannon only require at least on of the following subs.

I am aware that the chances of this class being added in are not very high and the final decision weather to use or not are up to Tobias. Dose the game really need a fourth class? In my opinion not really, so far the game has gone quite well with out this class, however it would be interesting to see it in action. The current list of skills and abilities I posted are not official and are some what incomplete, (damage dealt wise) so if anyone thinks of any better types of skills and abilities or ones to add to what I already have post it, although keep in mind its all up to Tobias and what he thinks, as for me, I already made my suggestion. Hope you like it.

-Megasystem008 (Leon)

Daymare

• Noxxara
  • Day
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:08 am »
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

Daymare

• Noxxara
  • Day
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »
I like this new idea, but I have some questions.
In the stats column, will there be something to increase indurance?
Since endurance is different from mana and fury, will there be special items for rangers?

By the way, for the name, ranger would be perfect.

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »
Sounds a bit like a human hunter if ya ask me! XD but seriously, the game has had other classes in the game before, so you might see it. or not. as ya said, toby has the final rule. I dunno why, but they sound a bit like mages. Either that, or i'm simply a bit dumb and missed specifics.

Shaun

• Bluebell
  • With Christ all things are possible!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
I like this new idea, but I have some questions.
In the stats column, will there be something to increase indurance?
Since endurance is different from mana and fury, will there be special items for rangers?

By the way, for the name, ranger would be perfect.

In a way you could say endurance is a slight mixture of both mana and fury, like mana it slowly restores its self when you aren’t not in combat and drains during use, and like fury it cannon be increased in any way shape or form. Will there be special items, not sure yet, I think for now I'll wait for Tobias to decide weather or not to use this class before I start coming up with more plans for it like special items. keep in mind this is all still a W.I.P. (work in progress) certain changes might be made here and there before the final product is released (that is if it gets released). I don’t expect "everything" to be put in exactly as I have written it here, these are just a few suggestions for skills and abilities I came up with based on my opinion, so if changes are made to the attacks or other abilities I don’t mind at all, besides it would probably be fore the better anyway.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »
I like many of the ideas you portrayed in it - at the moment I'm rather busy with a lot of other things, but this is definitely something I'd like to see implemented. :3

I'll keep this in mind, for when I'm done with most of the stuff that's on my desk this time of the year.

Toby

Rainpath

• Baby Bluebell
  • [an outdated meme]
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 07:17:03 pm »
Do it toby, do it! that sounds so cool, ive gotta try it o3o!!!

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »
So, let's see:

Starting level of endurance (A.K.A. mana or fury) will be 100

Added.

players will receive 12 additional endurance points each time they gain a level.
Since it's a static stat (depending only on level), I'd have to increase the cost of many abilities too as they level up. Better to just not increase the stat, nor the cost, and leave it static? :3

o   Poison arrow: hit enemy with a poison tipped arrow dealing continuous damage for 20 seconds.   

Added. It's a on-chance-proc though. Might do the same for embers when I get to it.

Repeating Crossbow: shoot target with 4 arrows. Uses 50 endurance points.

Sort-of-added. Double Strafe will hit twice, but only use one arrow. It's rather cheap too.
There is arrow shower, which uses multiple arrows to hit multiple targets.

Mini cannon: fire a powerful mid ranged cannon shot dealing heavy damage to any targets in front of you. Cool down time 5 seconds. Uses 90 endurance points.

Might be a bit too tech-y (and loud, if we add sound effects!). However, you got a bunch of melee skills that you can use if someone is close.

Camouflage: become invisible from foes for a set of time. You will not be able to move but can still perform ranged attacks. Note: any movement will cancel your camouflage. After firing a ranged attack you will be come visible for 5 seconds before fading back into camouflage. (Absorbs 5 endurance points per second as long as ability is active)

Pretty much added as you described it. However, if you shoot, you won't become visible (but the direction that the arrow is coming from will give you away to other players in PvP). It's also not complete invisibility, but rather stealth.

Eagle eye: (ability is always active) enables player to target and attack enemies from greater distances as long as the player has a lock on them. Note: this ability may not apply to all skills.

Added. No lock needed (would need to be a separate skill, which might not be needed atm), and it simply increases your cast range.

Traps are still coming.
Recoil swipe might become an arrow attack with cooldown. You also have Backstep, which is an inverse knockback - you jump back to get some distance.
Patient sniper sounds interesting, but it'd be a very subtle effect (usually from what I have seen, people don't often stand still for 12+ seconds).

Well, that only took a year to get started huh!

Deathofdeath

• Casper
  • -Ashaya Snow Patrol-
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:46:23 pm »
Yes i think this is very well thought out, and probably helps alot in the making of the hunter class

hippo

• Noxxara
  • -asp-
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:00:16 am »
now its lv 20!!

Doom

• Bizz
  • Doom is Doom. Lookout.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:22:49 pm »
Now its 22 XD

Dirt

• Lint
  • My name's Dirt (my character name)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »
Medic would be nice. Then you could heal other players!

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 06:12:41 pm »
Medic would be nice. Then you could heal other players!

Those are called priests here!
You should make one, they are nice. :D

Doom

• Bizz
  • Doom is Doom. Lookout.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 08:51:37 pm »
28 now :D
Yeah bots will heal you! U turn out to be LT. Ahhhhh

Derk

• Baby Bluebell
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
Or perhaps a rouge? Like a speedy little attack and dash? Like,zoom zam bam! Like...a ninja?