Forum - Quick Manual for the Map Editor

Welcome! Please login with your in-game name.

Author Topic: Quick Manual for the Map Editor  (Read 6314 times)

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:51 pm »
What is the map editor?

The map editor allows you to create your own maps, that you (and your friends) can roam around in. It is fully functional, and the same tool I have been using to create every map in the game - if you can't achieve some particular effect you've seen in game, it's not the map editor's fault. The shortcuts here are not bugged. I am using them on a daily basis and then some. If something doesn't work, you are either hitting the wrong key, or you have another program focused, or you didn't read the manual properly. I cannot help you with that. I know the map editor works.

Can anyone see my maps?

No, maps that you create are private, and only yourself and players that you have given an invitation code can enter it.
If a map is particularly well done, I may ask you for permission to add it as an official map. In that case I would make a copy, credit you and after that everyone can see your map.

If you need examples for well done player-made maps, ask Birk, Dawn, Lone (alphabetically, no preference implied), or, while in-game, go to Radium's Den where you fight the Venomous Slimespitters for the Grimoire of Elements: Earth scroll.

What are the requirements for using the map editor?

You need to have a valid account, and I need to enable it for map editing. In addition, your account must be in good standing.
Accounts may have different access levels. I prefer not disclosing my entire graphic library to just about anyone who asks. Instead, unless I know that you "mean it" and didn't just ask for the map editor because you're "board", I will give minimal access initially. To prove that you "mean it", you make a working and aesthetically pleasing map. Please do not ask for your access level to be elevated, if you do, I will instead withdraw your access for not reading this manual.

If you enable my account for map editing, does that mean I am staff?

No. Being able to use the map editor does not give you any additional privileges in the game. Please do not claim you have them, or that you are staff - people have done that before and it will be seen as staff impersonation, which is against the Terms of Service.

How does the map editor work?

You can access the map editor at http://elyssia.pawdgame.com/leveleditor/ . After it loaded it'll show you two main sections: the left part is where all your tools are, the right one is the map itself. You can drag the map around, or use the arrows to move around. You can also click the preview in the bottom left to move around.

Basics

Note: It is recommended to become accustomed with the map editor first, before starting an actual map. Go through the list below, and try doing what it explains - just to get a feeling about how things work.

Adding Graphics

To add graphics to your map, click "Browse" on the top left. This will open the graphic library. The graphic library is grouped into "Themes" - use the dropdown boxes in the bottom of that window to look at any other theme you may have access to. To select a graphic, click it, and then click "OK". Notice that:
  • the item you just selected is added to your "Quick List" on the top left. You can use the quick list to select recently used graphics again.
  • if you move your mouse into the map now, you'll see the graphic you selected, and where it'd be if you clicked. Clicking with your mouse will place the graphic into the map at its current position.

Before you place an item into the map, you can use these keyboard shortcuts. They will only work before you place the item on the map.

Press "M" to mirror the item horizontally.
Press the "+" key on your number pad to make it bigger (I do not recommended making it bigger than its original size, because it will look horrible).
Press the "-" key on your number pad to make it smaller.
Press the "*" key on your number pad to reset the size.
Sizing information is remembered between placements (so you can place a lot of items into the map at the same size), mirroring isn't (so you have to mirror each item again if you want to mirror them all).

Selecting Graphics

After you placed a graphic into the map, you can select it to reposition or delete it. To do that, click on the white arrow on the left first. Then, click on the graphic in the map that you want to select.

If more the position you clicked has more than one graphic, you will see a popup menu, asking you to pick the graphic you want to select - similar to how it works in game. Single click each individual list item to highlight the corresponding graphic in the map. Once you find the correct graphic, double click that list item.

The selected graphic item will be highlighted and start glowing. At this point you can reposition or delete it, using keyboard shortcuts:

Repositioning

To reposition an item you selected, use the arrow keys (up down left right) for pixel-precise placement.
Press "Page Up" to bring the graphic forward (so that it overlaps other graphics) or "Page Down" to push the graphic backwards (so that other graphics overlap it). To test this, place two or more items over each other.
Press "Home" to bring it all the way to the front (it'll overlap any other graphic) and "End" to push it all the way to the back.

Deleting

Press your "Delete" key to delete the selected item.

Layering

You may have noticed the "Layers" in the bottom right. These are NOT for basic layering (such as "this flower needs to overlap that other flower" kind of things) - for that you should select the graphic use Page Up / Down instead, as explained above. The layers at the bottom right have a special meaning to them, so if the bottom right does not read "Background Layer" for basic map editing, you're very likely doing something wrong.

The three special layers you will see are:

• Background Layer: This is the layer you should be working on most of the time. It is where the basic map is, that the player walks around in.
  • Foreground Layer: Anything you put in this layer will overlap players at any time - so if you put a tree on this layer, players will walk behind it. It also overlaps items and whatnot.
  • Platform Layer: This layer is between background and foreground. Usually players walk on top of it, but you can (later on) mark parts of the level so that players walk behind it. Essentially, this layer can act either as a background, or as a foreground layer.

These were the layout basic. Now, for a few important caveats:

• You do not need to add a sky - the map editor will do that for you if you click on "New". If you want to change the sky, click on the "BG" button (which works like a switch, so to leave background editing mode, you have to click it again).
  • To save your level, enter a name for your map in the white box on the left and click "Save". You need to remember this name to load the map, and it's case sensitive.
  • To resize your level (if you need more room), enter the new sizes into the boxes on the left, then save and reload it.
  • Because the game client has its chatbox at the bottom, you should account for about 200 extra pixels at the bottom of the map.
  • Make sure to save your map. If something's wrong, the server will tell you. The map editor will suggest that the map may not have been saved - don't worry. As long as the server received it, but refused to put it online (it'll say that the server "rejected" the map), it has been saved and you can load it to either fix whatever is wrong yourself, or to tell me about it.

Platforming and similar some other time. :3

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »
Isn't it "Enchanted Earth" Not earth enchanted?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:32:50 pm »
Well, yes - but the recipe, you get from him. ;P

Kitson

• Nyranthix
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »
i know, but i mean, isn't it called Grimoire of enchanted earth or something? the recipe itself.

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:57 am »
Alright, changed it :3

Beta

• Baby Bluebell
  • Grr...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »
Hey Toby, I'm usually on an apple that doesn't have a full, standard keyboard, so my backspace button doesn't work to delete items, do you think you could fix it somehow?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 07:07:31 pm »
Alright, I'll check into that. Thanks ;P

What other keys are you missing?

Beta

• Baby Bluebell
  • Grr...
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:51 pm »
I'm not sure, I'll let you know.

I figured out (after searching through Google) that fn+backspace on apple computers work as a delete key ^-^

Arty

• Baby Bluebell
  • Hiya, I'm crazy :3
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:02 pm »
Hey Toby, could you make a way to flip objects vertically?

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:46 pm »
Press 'V'.

Arty

• Baby Bluebell
  • Hiya, I'm crazy :3
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:04 am »
okay, thanks ^-^

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 04:34:53 am »
ohhh so thats how people make those maps!  I always wondered how people made them and i thought it was some software you hade to buy.   Oh thats cool and I can now say i learned something new today =^-^=

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
Nope, it's - like the game itself - completely free if you want to give it a shot. XD

Maps you made are immediately accessible, and you can invite other players into your map as well. By choosing who to share the code with, you can also pick who may enter your map and who may not.

Berry

• Noxxara
  • Hello :3
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 03:23:15 am »
 melas would be really violent.... And is it where it says create when u push logout switch characters but its locked and says u need to ask a high mage or something?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:43:35 am by Berry »

Tobias

• Global Moderator
  • AR1 Security Unit
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »
Initially the map editor was planned to be accessible after completing certain in-game quests, but I've scratched that idea.

All you need to do is read this initial post. It contains a link, and also tells you who you need to ask. :3 Without reading this post, you will not be able to understand it anyway, because a lot of what you need to pay attention to isn't explained anywhere else.