Refining is a mechanic in the game that allows you to upgrade your armor, primarily increasing it's durability before it is needed for repairs. Unlike enchanting, it can fail. The higher the refinement level, the less likely for it to succeed.
A single piece of equipment can have up to 5 levels of refinement (#####). Randomly, there is a low chance that any equipment can be found at refinement level 1 (loot from defeating monsters/bosses, opening treasure chests, etc). However, most of the time, you'll find equipment with no refinement on it. Only head, tail, gloves and anklets can be refined with refining materials.
A single successful refinement increases the refinement level by 1. This adds the equivalent of 1 Armor on a piece of equipment. You only receive a attack/magic increase (adds 1 attack/magic x refinement level) when refining your main hand glove. Each refinement level adds 20% more durability (about 280 points). A piece of equipment with no refinement on it has 1400 points of durability (see Repair for more details).
A failed refinement has a chance to either stay at the same refinement level, or drop the current refining level by 1. It does not destroy the equipment.
Where can refining materials be found
Bosses and treasure chests usually drop refining materials. The final chest at the end of the Everchange Caverns and the Tunnels of Illusion has a guaranteed chance to drop ferrites.
- Pure Ferrites are used to refine equipment (can only refine to a max of 4). This is the most common refining material.
- Enriched Ferrite is an uncommon refining material used to refine equipment (to a max of 4). This has a higher success rate than Pure Ferrite.
- Pure Orchidon is a rare refining material used to refine equipment (to a max of 5). This has a higher success rate than Enriched Ferrite.
- Head, Tail, Gloves, and Anklet equipment can be refined with ferrites and has durability on it. Earrings, Hairpins, Neck, and Bow equipment cannot be refined with ferrites and has durability on it. Back, Bag, Maw, Charm, and Etc. (arrows) equipment cannot be refined with ferrites and has no durability (does not need to be repaired).
- Although some of the equipment types mentioned above cannot be refined, you can still randomly find equipment that has refinement level 1 regardless. The only exception is Etc. (arrows), as they are disposable items.
- Costumes are only cosmetic items; wearing costumes with refinement on them won't add to your stats.